Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   How do I get more power out of my 2.5L?? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/6566-power-2-5l.html)

RangeRZ08 01-23-2010 12:55 AM

How do I get more power out of my 2.5L??

I know this has probably been gone over a billion times but I'm a Ranger newbie and I tried the search function, but came up with nothing. It kept saying "no matches." I want to get more power out of my 2.5 without sacrificing reliability. What are some of the best 'bang for your buck' bolt-ons? Also, is there any parts that are interchangeable off of other engines that would produce better power?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

BTW: The truck is a 2001 Reg. Cab 2wd short bed with a 5 speed

blue lightnin 01-23-2010 02:59 AM

i need to know too so help us both please

modelageek 01-23-2010 08:35 AM

I did the air box mod. it is free and takes 10 minutes. Definitely helped out some

FoMoCo 01-23-2010 09:46 AM

speaking from someone that had a 2001 2.5L, i really didn't find any bolt on for the 2.5, the airbox mod is about all you can do for performance, and it really doesn't do alot... when it comes to the 4 cyl rangers, we really do get the short end of the stick

rockwerks 01-23-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoMoCo (Post 56669)
speaking from someone that had a 2001 2.5L, i really didn't find any bolt on for the 2.5, the airbox mod is about all you can do for performance, and it really doesn't do alot... when it comes to the 4 cyl rangers, we really do get the short end of the stick

The keey is to make it breath better intake and exhaust free up flow and you improve performance

cold air intakes:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...ake+Systems%29

exhaust system: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

Gibson header:

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts....aspx?kc=ffsku

That is 3 minutes of searching.

You can also adapt the 2.3 turbo setup etc. There are lots of options for you.

FoMoCo 01-23-2010 11:46 PM

looking at thoes links, thoes items are quite spendy, $1100 to make a handful of HP

rockwerks 01-23-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoMoCo (Post 57042)
looking at thoes links, thoes items are quite spendy, $1100 to make a handful of HP

never said it was cheap, just available:D

Jp7 01-24-2010 01:52 AM

ok - let me fix the damage here.

Cold air intake WILL NOT HELP
Bigger diameter exhaust WILL NOT HELP

search my posts and you will see why. I am not typing the same stuff again.

For my entertainment, you can tell me "why I'm wrong"

Kingoverace 01-24-2010 04:56 AM

Basically, everyone will just tell you to drop a V8 in, can be done for the same price as all the bolt-on mods....And you'll get a attitude when you dont have a 8...
I however enjoy the mpg, and the bolt-on accs..like it or not, no matter what you do, the 2.3 will never be a race truck... but if you just want a little more umfff....try just freeing up restricted HP....
Cold intake, electric fan, underdog pulley,exhaust.......This will make it feel better but wont compare to a more cubic inches!

and Jp7, understand this is like their first post dude lol,..maybe people are just looking for a lil more pep in their engine, not to make it a NASCAR contender. I remember reading you answered like this to someone else..lol, no one looking to argue..not cool dude
" 'why I'm wrong' ".

sgtbigmac 01-24-2010 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangeRZ08 (Post 56595)
I know this has probably been gone over a billion times but I'm a Ranger newbie and I tried the search function, but came up with nothing. It kept saying "no matches." I want to get more power out of my 2.5 without sacrificing reliability. What are some of the best 'bang for your buck' bolt-ons? Also, is there any parts that are interchangeable off of other engines that would produce better power?

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

BTW: The truck is a 2001 Reg. Cab 2wd short bed with a 5 speed

E-mail www.brenspeed.com or any other "tuner" company and ask if they have a "perfornance tune" for the 2.5. Mine cost $379.00 for my 4.0.

rockwerks 01-24-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 57059)
ok - let me fix the damage here.

Cold air intake WILL NOT HELP
Bigger diameter exhaust WILL NOT HELP

search my posts and you will see why. I am not typing the same stuff again.

For my entertainment, you can tell me "why I'm wrong"

You are oversimplifying the situation here.

If you increase the volumetric efficiency of the motor you increase performance. These gains with simply increasing the flow will be slight.

Most bolt on parts do little to increase the effeciency. on the K&N systems the smooth wall tube on the intake probably makes a larger gain than the filter

The 2.5 already has a very high efficiency coefficient

Larger diameter is only part of the equation. Equal tube length (4:2:1) and collector design on the header
and what goes behind the header are also paramount

There is no quick fix for immediate large increases in performance, modern intake and exhaust systems have improved over the years due largely in part to government requirements on mpg and exhaust waste.

Back in the 70's a stock V8 had a stock volumetric efficiency of around 50% or less, so changing intake manifold bigger carb and 4:1 headers and free flowing exhaust made measurable differences. a jump from 50% to 80% efficiency would be a substantial gain in performance

In a modern vehicle to increase performance over maybe 5% would take replacing intake manifolds, larger throttle body, injectors, computer modifications a long with total exhaust replacement and still you would see only slight increase in performance maybe a total of 15%

Can you see an increase in performance with bolt on parts? YES but not what the parts Manufacturers would like you to believe.

If you want performance you need to go to forced induction and motor modifications to see real gains

greyghost 01-24-2010 11:39 AM

you either get good fuel millage or horsepower. if you want good mpg buy a ranger if you want horsepower should have bought a power stroke.. as plane and simple as i can put it..

Jp7 01-24-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyghost (Post 57168)
you either get good fuel millage or horsepower.

explain why.

greyghost 01-24-2010 12:01 PM

because horsepower usually comes with a cost it isn't free

Jp7 01-24-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyghost (Post 57177)
because horsepower usually comes with a cost it isn't free

but why do you "either get good fuel millage or horsepower"?

Anything that isn't free, comes with a cost.