Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exhaust and Mufflers (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhaust-and-mufflers/)
-   -   HOLY CRAP Cat Coverter question (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhaust-and-mufflers/6543-holy-crap-cat-coverter-question.html)

bagged02 01-22-2010 01:38 PM

HOLY CRAP Cat Coverter question

I have a friend that works at the ford dealer. Car would act like it had transmission trouble at about 60 mph would not go faster and the rpms shot up real high. Took it to the dealer. They said plugs and wires were very bad which prob cause the cats to go bad. WHY THE HELL are there 4(four) converters on a small truck like this with no dual exhauat(true dual). I have no clue. So the at cost price for 4 cats are 800.00 through them, I seen some on ebay for 250.00 for for new direct fit ones.

Here is the main Question:
I live in a county without emmisions as a requirement. Cant I Just run one catylitic converter? Or none at all? what are your guys comments on this problem. thanks

Bwad 01-22-2010 01:57 PM

Well, first, lets start off by listing some information about your truck.

Second, as a CA resident, I also had to go through with the BS law of emissions and needed a special converter because no other place would even SHIP to CA. I bought a Magnaflow cat, but before that I seafoamed, then changed the plugs and wires, and hopefully will get to renew the whole exhaust this weekend.

And 3rd, you won't want to remove your catalytic converter. You'll lose torque and backpressure, and screw up your engine.

bagged02 01-22-2010 10:56 PM

at the bottom was my question. its a stock 2002 3.0 non flex fuel engine.

here was the question again if you missed it.

"I live in a county without emmisions as a requirement. Cant I Just run one catylitic converter? Or none at all? what are your guys comments on this problem. thanks "

Jay FX4 01-23-2010 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagged02 (Post 56554)
"I live in a county without emmisions as a requirement. Cant I Just run one catylitic converter? Or none at all? what are your guys comments on this problem. thanks "

No. If you want the reasons why, search.

bagged02 01-23-2010 09:53 AM

your still not getting the question..lol. Can you run just one cat on a 02 3.0 non flex fuel ranger... they come with 4. CAN YOU RUN JUST ONE> hope that simplifies it

Jay FX4 01-23-2010 01:48 PM

Your question has been answered - twice. :)

bagged02 01-23-2010 08:06 PM

you could be smarter and point it out to me cause I obviously dont see where you have said yes one or 2 is ok, or no you must run 4. smartypants

Sandman 01-23-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagged02 (Post 56915)
you could be smarter and point it out to me cause I obviously dont see where you have said yes one or 2 is ok, or no you must run 4. smartypants

first off i think you need to get your panties out of your butt and use the search button. and no you cannot they need four for a reason. BACK PRESSURE and TORQUE if you cut down to one it will not clean and flow properly plus it will turn your check engine light on possibly and then your fuel mileage will go down. and the SEARCH key is your friend

edgeman4.0 01-23-2010 08:30 PM

easy ladies... you CAN get away with running one cat. ALTHOUGH you will lose some backpressure as well as a bit of torque and fuel economy. Aside from that, just make sure you run a muffler and a full pipe in order to salvage what backpressure you will have left.

NOW ALL Y'ALL QUIT YER BITCHIN

bagged02 01-24-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandman (Post 56920)
first off i think you need to get your panties out of your butt and use the search button. and no you cannot they need four for a reason. BACK PRESSURE and TORQUE if you cut down to one it will not clean and flow properly plus it will turn your check engine light on possibly and then your fuel mileage will go down. and the SEARCH key is your friend

there is no FIRST OFF!!!! thanks though. I did utilize the search Icon located at the top of your screen. Worked in medicine for 13 years so I know a little about computers. No need to be a ass to a new member on here, you will run many of them off by doing that, but not me. Thanks for the reply. Looks like its not really certian. I can tell you that I am sure you used your search button to find the answers where stated you cannot do it. I see several that say you can. So ill find out. I just asked a simple question and you were a ass about it. Hope your not a moderator, and if your not I can see why

surfer03133 01-24-2010 08:57 AM

you question was answered by trepaul the day you asked it:
Quote:

Your year should only have 2 cats after the y-pipe off the manifolds. Newer (01+) have 2 pre-cats in the y-pipe and 2 after the collector from the y-pipe. You should just have those 2 if you even have that many. I deleted my last cat, still leaving me with 3 cats (2.5" from the big cat back to the muff) and I gained some throttle response, sound and about 2mpg.
in this thread