Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   Battery drain associated with other electrical problems. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/63819-battery-drain-associated-electrical.html)

Tobin 06-09-2012 01:57 PM

Battery drain associated with other electrical problems.

Hi all, first post since Introducing myself. Well, I'm chasing down a battery drain in the Ranger in my Signature. It's seemingly always been there and burned through quite a few batteries. A guide I found online says a maximum of 35 milliamps draw total is normal when the truck is off, however im currently drawing around 314 mA. (Yes this is after the 45 minute "cooloff" period) When testing the fuses, we found that fuse 25 is drawing around 50 mA, and fuse 26 is drawing around 250 mA. (Fuse 29 is drawing 4 mA, but we're assuming thats for clock/radio saving functions) After a lot of research I feel that it is the "Generic Electronic Module (GEM)" which is causing all the trouble. (Not sure about wires as we havent pulled anything apart). Another problems I'm having with it are the Door Ajar light is always on, even when the door is closed (apparently a common problem, which also could be related to the GEM). I don't really want to tear apart the dash or spend the big bucks to get a module/reprogramming for it to be something completely different. Any thoughts would be appreciated. And also, the Dome Light is disconnected with no bulbs, since the switch went bad anyways.

03rangdang 06-09-2012 02:48 PM

Figure out what is on the fuses that are drawing so much voltage.

Tobin 06-09-2012 05:07 PM

Re: Battery drain associated with other electrical problems.

Yes, sorry, I meant to post that earlier.

Fuse 25 -
- Generic Electronic Module
- Instrument Cluster

Fuse 26 -
- Battery Saver Relay
- Electronic Shift Relay
- Interior Lamp Relay
- Power Window Relay
- Electronic Shift Control Module
- Dome/Map Lamp
- GEM

Fuse 29 -
- Radio

Hope that helps

FireRanger 06-09-2012 05:48 PM

300+ ma is what the draw will be before the GEM and BSR cut off. After 45ish minutes, that happens. You hear a click, the dome light goes out, and the door lock buttons will no longer work.

If that is not happening, something is preventing it from going to sleep. Most likely the sticking door switch. Fix that and see if the problem goes away.

Tobin 06-09-2012 06:30 PM

I'll look into it, thanks

BILLIBOY 06-09-2012 06:47 PM

Had the same problem with my Green 99 Ranger. Turns out it is in the radio and I pulled the radio out and the battery did not go dead any more. There are 3 feeds going into the radio through 3 fuses. I guess if you pull the right fuse everytime you park the truck the battery will stay charged. I plan to get another radio or just drive with the radio out as this truck is just my spare, firewood hauler, bush/hunting vehicle.

lspeer 06-13-2012 07:56 AM

For the door ajar light try spraying some WD40 or PB blaster in the door latch. thats where the light switch is. My 99 was doing the same thing til I did that. Switch is sticking.