Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Transmission would not go into gear (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/63589-transmission-gear.html)

Gunner 06-06-2012 04:54 AM

Transmission would not go into gear

So I had all my wisdom teeth pulled a few days ago and was unable to drive for almost a week due to pain killers etc. My truck just sat not being used for this period of time. When I did get back into it to drive, I started it up, let it warm up and reversed out of my parking spot just fine. The problem was that when I went to go into 1st, the shifter wouldn't go in, as if the clutch wasn't released all the way and the mainshaft gears were still moving. I tried other gears and the same thing happened. I clutched in and out several times to spin the input side of the transmission while in neutral to see if it would line up but would not. I eventually got it to go into gear and the problem never returned, but I just found it odd it would do this after sitting for a few days.

My thoughts were:

1. Most of the oil drained back into the bottom of the case, and the syncros were dry
OR
2. The clutch bled down it's pressure causing it to not fully disengage, allowing the transmission to spin enough to prevent gear selection.

What are your thoughts on this? Did this problem ever happen to you?
Please share!

Gunner 06-11-2012 03:39 AM

Re: Transmission would not go into gear

bump

shizzle8787 06-11-2012 03:45 AM

I have no clue, maybe it's alittle low on fluid.

Sent from my ADR6350 using FRF App

Retroboy1989 06-15-2012 03:43 PM

EDIT: WHAT THE WHAT? This is really strange for a truck as new as yours. Is it still under warranty? Take that mess into the dealership. Let them fix it..

Original Post:

Your clutch is not disengaging fully.

Sounds like a problem with either your clutch slave cylinder or master cylinder. One of them probably has a small leak. Check your clutch fluid and top it off if the reservoir is empty. Then try pumping your clutch pedal to see if you can build some pressure up in the system. Then try and drive again. If there is no improvement, you may need to try and re-bleed the system to make your truck drivable again.

Youtube the "perfection clutch" ranger clutch bleeding video on how to bleed the master and THEN the slave cylinder. Proper bleeding of the master requires removal from the truck.

If this does not work or if the problem comes back:

Check for fluid around the master cylinder behind the clutch pedal. Also pop off the clutch inspection plug on the driver's side of the transmission and look for any fluid around the slave cylinder.

The slave cylinders on our trucks are located in the transmission bell housing and they are also a weak point (Nice job Mazda/Ford:mad:. Further, the angle of the master cylinders on our trucks make them a joke to bleed. It is safe to say that our clutch hydraulics suck.

If you find any fluid, then you know that the respective cylinder has failed. If you can't find fluid, then my bet would be on the slave cylinder which means a clutch job.

kanejr 06-15-2012 04:22 PM

I just had the same problem and to confirm my worst fears I pulled the rubber plug out of the driver side of the tranny and stuck my finger inside and felt around only to find brake fluid. Turns out that my slave cylinder which I replaced 4 years earlier was shot. Just recent got it back together.

Retroboy1989 06-15-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanejr (Post 917792)
I just had the same problem and to confirm my worst fears I pulled the rubber plug out of the driver side of the tranny and stuck my finger inside and felt around only to find brake fluid. Turns out that my slave cylinder which I replaced 4 years earlier was shot. Just recent got it back together.

That was me a few months ago. It seems to happen alot with these trucks. What I dont understand is why a 2011 is having this problem. That slave is not old enough to die. Faulty from the factory?

kanejr 06-15-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroboy1989 (Post 917813)
That was me a few months ago. It seems to happen alot with these trucks. What I dont understand is why a 2011 is having this problem. That slave is not old enough to die. Faulty from the factory?

Yeah I've read up on these trucks and they're known for it. The throwout bearing was even pretty wore out on mine. I replaced the whole system from the master cylinder down to the slave cylinder.

Retroboy1989 06-15-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanejr (Post 917829)
Yeah I've read up on these trucks and they're known for it. The throwout bearing was even pretty wore out on mine. I replaced the whole system from the master cylinder down to the slave cylinder.

I replaced about everything I could in the bell housing. Everything from the rear main to the slave. I held off on the master to save a little $$. What brand of parts did you buy? I went with a motorcraft slave, but that might have been overkill. Im not sure what brand of master I should by. Rockauto.com offers about 8 different brands.

kanejr 06-15-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retroboy1989 (Post 917835)
I replaced about everything I could in the bell housing. Everything from the rear main to the slave. I held off on the master to save a little $$. What brand of parts did you buy? I went with a motorcraft slave, but that might have been overkill. Im not sure what brand of master I should by. Rockauto.com offers about 8 different brands.

I can't even remember now lol. It came from advance auto parts. The whole kit came together. (Master cylinder, the line, the slave cylinder and throwout bearing) unlike the old one the new slave cylinder came equipped with a dust shield on it which im wondering if it was the problem. Cause I tore the old one apart and I could tell the seal was shredded on it as if dirt got onto the plastic and slowly ripped away at it.

Gunner 06-18-2012 11:51 PM

I did have the inputand output seals replaced in the transfer case about a month ago. They did the tailshaft seal in the transmission as well I believe. I checked the fluid level in the clutch master reservoir, it looks ok, and no signs of a leak up top. I have a big service coming up in the next 1000 km or so. I will mention this to them and have them check the fluid levels in the transmission, transfer case and clutch.

Retroboy1989 06-19-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 921277)
I did have the inputand output seals replaced in the transfer case about a month ago. They did the tailshaft seal in the transmission as well I believe. I checked the fluid level in the clutch master reservoir, it looks ok, and no signs of a leak up top. I have a big service coming up in the next 1000 km or so. I will mention this to them and have them check the fluid levels in the transmission, transfer case and clutch.

Make sure they fix it. This is a common problem with Rangers, and a transmission shop would charge 600-900 for a full clutch job to fix it. A dealer would charge more. Make sure you do it under warranty while you have the chance. I would not stop bugging them until they fix it correctly. There is no reason why you should have to drive that truck with ANY problems.