Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   Ranger keys (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/6220-ranger-keys.html)

smurphy 01-16-2010 02:42 PM

Ranger keys

hey today i went to my local hardware shop to get a few spare keys for my truck, but the man said he couldn't because there is a computer chip inside the key and only the dealership could replace them.

I was wondering how much it would cost to get a spare at the dealership?

and if there was another way i could do it without going to the dealership because i know nothing is cheap at the dealership:(

thanks

2001xlt4d 01-16-2010 02:44 PM

spare key, as in one that you can use to just get in the door? or spare key with the chip? i know Ace hardware can do chipped keys and so can many big name hardware stores can...

smurphy 01-16-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001xlt4d (Post 53383)
spare key, as in one that you can use to just get in the door? or spare key with the chip? i know Ace hardware can do chipped keys and so can many big name hardware stores can...

I looking to get 2 more keys with the chip, i only have 1 key that can run my truck

smurphy 01-16-2010 02:52 PM

do you know if walmart or home depot do chipped keys?

smakes 01-16-2010 03:49 PM

im pretty sure home depot can do chipped keys , aslong as youve got the blank with the pats chip in it already. you can buy blanks from locksmith shops, ebay, the dealer

smurphy 01-16-2010 04:10 PM

k i found some on ebay for like 15 bucks and ill go to the dealer on monday or tuesday to price out and ill see if home depot does the chips

thanks

2001xlt4d 01-16-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smakes (Post 53391)
im pretty sure home depot can do chipped keys , aslong as youve got the blank with the pats chip in it already. you can buy blanks from locksmith shops, ebay, the dealer

in most situations they sell the chipped blank keys at the store. i know ACE hardware does. i dont think lowes will.

smakes 01-16-2010 04:29 PM

dont have an ace around here, lowes dont do it, and ive never bought a key at home depot cuz i dont have power locks or pats.

2001xlt4d 01-16-2010 04:31 PM

yeah its pretty hard to find someone who will do it. you can try and call a locksmith if you really want. Dealer will rip you a new one.

Ranger01 01-16-2010 09:59 PM

I went to a locksmith near me. They cut me a key and programmed it for 60$. If you have the key blank dealer charges around 80$ to program. The key and Program is around 150$ from dealership

aaron_ariens 01-16-2010 10:01 PM

Yeah, I had to go to the dealer, it was $133. Labor for a key. I could not believe it.

smurphy 01-17-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron_ariens (Post 53532)
Yeah, I had to go to the dealer, it was $133. Labor for a key. I could not believe it.

that sucks

there is an ace hardware about 25 miles from me so ill check them out frist

DisturbedESV 01-17-2010 12:35 PM

I think I paid the dealer like $80 to get my chipped key cut/programmed but they say after you have 2 you can program the rest yourself... not sure how though.

Fx4wannabe01 01-17-2010 01:02 PM

Just to clear some things up.....I'm in the same situation as the OP, Sean. Only have one key to the truck. A few years ago, just after I got the truck, I went to get a spare key made. Here lies the problems....they can only be programmed in PAIRS off the bat. Meaning, you gotta have 2 to make any 'new' keys work on the damned PATS system. To get that 2nd key if you've only got 1 key, requires a PATS reprogram which runs about $90, then the key, the cut, and the programming bringing the grand total quote I recieved to right about $180 to get 1 new key done. Any additional down the road is simple and easy and pretty cheap since you can do all the programming by yourself.

Some trucks have PATS, some don't. Depends on the year and the model. My little brothers 01 XL doesn't have PATS, but my 01 XLT does. My buddy's 04 XLT doesn't. See what I mean? If you've got a 'theft' light that flashes on the dash when the key is out of the ignition, you've got PATS.

smurphy 01-17-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 (Post 53795)
Just to clear some things up.....I'm in the same situation as the OP, Sean. Only have one key to the truck. A few years ago, just after I got the truck, I went to get a spare key made. Here lies the problems....they can only be programmed in PAIRS off the bat. Meaning, you gotta have 2 to make any 'new' keys work on the damned PATS system. To get that 2nd key if you've only got 1 key, requires a PATS reprogram which runs about $90, then the key, the cut, and the programming bringing the grand total quote I recieved to right about $180 to get 1 new key done. Any additional down the road is simple and easy and pretty cheap since you can do all the programming by yourself.

Some trucks have PATS, some don't. Depends on the year and the model. My little brothers 01 XL doesn't have PATS, but my 01 XLT does. My buddy's 04 XLT doesn't. See what I mean? If you've got a 'theft' light that flashes on the dash when the key is out of the ignition, you've got PATS.

so i have to have 2 keys with the chip to get any new ones made without using the PATS program?

and yes my truck has the theft light:(