Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   air intake making popping noise? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/62129-air-intake-popping-noise.html)

sfull-xlt 05-15-2012 04:24 PM

air intake making popping noise?

i have a 2008 ranger xlt and the air intake is stock so it should be fine but when in idle it makes a popping noise that comes through the air intake. is it just the IAC or something else

02RangerFX4 05-15-2012 07:24 PM

Re: air intake making popping noise?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfull-xlt (Post 884514)
i have a 2008 ranger xlt and the air intake is stock so it should be fine but when in idle it makes a popping noise that comes through the air intake. is it just the IAC or something else

Is it like a constant pop or is it just a pop on start up?

sfull-xlt 05-15-2012 08:47 PM

It will be at inconstant intervals but after each one the idel will go down for a second than come back up

blakeK2 05-15-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfull-xlt
It will be at inconstant intervals but after each one the idel will go down for a second than come back up

What is you vent for you interior fan vent set at? Mines does this when ever the A/C is on. So a/c, defrost; defrost/floor, dash/floor.

Caseywoods5 05-15-2012 09:21 PM

my fourwheelers do that all the time, all i could tell you is that it happens when the engine is cold and won't take the fuel as fast as it's going in or it's running leaner than it should be. it's like backfiring except through the carb rather than the exhaust. as i said, this is on my fourwheelers, not a truck, so i'm not sure if it would be the same reasoning.

or as the guy above me mentioned, you could have the A/C or heat on, the truck will idle up and down whenever the pump kicks on to run the heat or A/C

sfull-xlt 05-16-2012 06:08 AM

next time i hear it i will look to see if the ac or heat is on
im pretty sure that it isnt though when it happens
if i brought it into the dealer ship would they be able to do anything?

blakeK2 05-16-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfull-xlt
next time i hear it i will look to see if the ac or heat is on
im pretty sure that it isnt though when it happens
if i brought it into the dealer ship would they be able to do anything?

I've taken it in because it shutters in park. They can't recreate it. My "fix" was just to turn the vent knob to floor.
The newer trucks run the compressor all the time. It's only not activated on just floor, or just dash setting.

austinranger85 05-16-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeK2 (Post 885282)
I've taken it in because it shutters in park. They can't recreate it. My "fix" was just to turn the vent knob to floor.
The newer trucks run the compressor all the time. It's only not activated on just floor, or just dash setting.

I hate that it is like that and plan on installing a switch like the old Geo cars have. In the winter I just unplug the compressor until summer hits. I hate wasting gas on that thing.

02RangerFX4 05-16-2012 08:16 AM

Yea, my truck does this when the AC is on. low pop, grumbles a little and stops. Nothing unusual.

sfull-xlt 05-17-2012 05:01 AM

Was sitting at a drive thur this morning and it popped aging but this time it julted the car a little bit?
So you said this is normal if so what is happening and why

blakeK2 05-17-2012 06:54 AM

Compressor engages. Motor lugs down. Rpms plummeted. Compress disengages motor goes back to idle.

Mine will shake enough that it's visible by spectators. Mine only does that when I either just did the hill climb or 65+ freeway driving.

02RangerFX4 05-17-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeK2 (Post 886738)
Compressor engages. Motor lugs down. Rpms plummeted. Compress disengages motor goes back to idle.

Mine will shake enough that it's visible by spectators. Mine only does that when I either just did the hill climb or 65+ freeway driving.

This. When the engine is idling and the compressor engages it takes the rpms down rapidly and can make it shake a little. When mine engages, the engine goes down to 4-500 then back to idle all within a few seconds but you can hear the whirring of the compressor. When it turns off the engine goes over idle a little then back down to idle again. The power needed for the compressor lowers RPM's while the engine is trying to make up for it. So it will pop, rpms go down and then rise back to idle again.

blakeK2 05-17-2012 08:57 AM

I actually messed around with it this morning; when in park a/c off I was reading .36-.37 gph. With a/c engaging it would hit .46-.47 gph reading.
While in D I had a base reading of .44-.45 gph and when the compressor engaged it went to .49-.51.

I was expecting the fuel consumption to either stay the same; not decrease when out into drive.

This was on my truck with a scangauge II that was tuned to 5.6%+. Outside temp upper 40's. Both tranny and engine coolant at typical running temps.

Graydon98 01-19-2013 03:50 PM

I am having the same problem on my 08. Check my video you can't really hear the pop but you can hear the intake suck air and the rpms change. Is this what's happening with you guys?

02RangerFX4 01-19-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graydon98 (Post 1209426)
I am having the same problem on my 08. Check my video you can't really hear the pop but you can hear the intake suck air and the rpms change. Is this what's happening with you guys?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IQqtBWsWJTI

Thats normal, especially with an open air filter like that. If you had the factory box on there with the snorkel you wouldn't be able to hear that sound. That's just the engine sucking in more air so it can stay idling and not die from the a/c.

I took out the snorkel on my truck and it does the same thing when the a/c is on.