Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   Brake lights are not working? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/61568-brake-lights.html)

DrIftKi7Vg 05-07-2012 05:53 PM

Brake lights are not working?

My brakes are not working! They will come on when I turn my headlight switch but no brake lights. Reverse works as well as the hazard lights and turn signals. Fuses are checked and are okay. Installed a new brake light switch and still nothing (I have it on without the medal clip for now).

Should the BPS (brake position switch) be angled at a certain way or does that metal clip has any affect on the switch itself? It's starting to irritate me and I would really appreciate it if I can get any help on this. Thank you!

-Jordan

PS. I took my third brake light off to night shade it and placed it back in, no brake light. Used a voltmeter and checked the power to it and it's ready a solid "6" (same reading I'm getting from the new brake switch). Also, doing the readings with the key in the off position.

DrIftKi7Vg 05-07-2012 08:19 PM

Re: Brake lights are not working?

bump?

DrIftKi7Vg 05-08-2012 12:23 PM

bump

MadMike 05-08-2012 12:30 PM

I had the same problem it was the Brake pedal switch. I changed it no go, so tried another one and presto they worked. Just a hint don't install it under the dash while testing.Just plug in the harness and press the black circle button saves you from bending under the dash to find out it doesn't work. Also you can put a jumper in the harness to see if the problem is after the brake switch. Hope this helps :)

DrIftKi7Vg 05-08-2012 12:51 PM

Wow! I just went outside to try that and it actually worked! Actually, both my old and new brake switch works (the old one is harder to push down on). Now is there a way to put the switch back on to make it work or what?

DrIftKi7Vg 05-08-2012 04:54 PM

Update:

Brake lights work now! Then come one when I hit the brake pedal so that is out of the way! Now another problem occurred. When I turn over the engine and try to shift into gear (automatic trans.) it will not shift. But when I have it in the "on" position, I can shift in and out of gears like butter. Now what I have to do to get into gears (when engine is started) is to place it in neutral first, then start the engine, then I can shift through gears. But when I put it back into park, it locks (sort of say). Can anyone help me with this? It HIGHLY ANNOYING!

Oh, and my ABS icon or airbag icon is showing up...?

DrIftKi7Vg 05-08-2012 05:59 PM

bump

BILLIBOY 05-08-2012 07:31 PM

You have an open circuit between your brake light switch and the shift lever interlock. The interlock must get a signal from the brake lights to unlock the shifter when the engine is running. When the engine is not running you can shift into neutral and start the engine.

DrIftKi7Vg 05-09-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILLIBOY (Post 877139)
You have an open circuit between your brake light switch and the shift lever interlock. The interlock must get a signal from the brake lights to unlock the shifter when the engine is running. When the engine is not running you can shift into neutral and start the engine.

Okay, so how do I go about fixing it?

mecman99 05-09-2012 01:17 PM

//

DrIftKi7Vg 05-12-2012 02:31 PM

Update! Brake lights work now! It was the brake light switch. It came loose for some reason and I tighten it back up.

Also, reason for not shifting is the shift interlock solenoid. Un plugged the connector going to it and I can now shift properly. So I'm going to buy a new one when the funds are good and go from there! Thank you all for your help!

MadMike 05-27-2012 06:17 AM

Good I sways have a spare brake switch in my glove box. They are junk I have 70000km on my truck and I'm on my third switch!!!! So carry a spare just to be safe