Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Interior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/)
-   -   shift knob removal (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/61269-shift-knob-removal.html)

tehrookie 05-03-2012 04:28 PM

shift knob removal

This may seem like an idiotic thing to ask, but how the hell di you remove the manual shift knob? I turned on the damn thing even while holding the stick as hard as I could until I felt like I was gonna break something. Help a noob out.

Hickfromhell88 05-03-2012 04:32 PM

Re: shift knob removal

Search it man. Take a heat gun and heat up the knob, then you should be able to pull it off the shaft.

tehrookie 05-03-2012 05:09 PM

Tried searching, but the search box is broke in my browser for some reason.

So it pulls of or screws off?

Riq21 05-03-2012 06:08 PM

take a ball joint remover fork, stick it under the knob, and smack it with a mall. May take several hits, but will come off. The end of the shifter has splines, not threads. This will work.

BlackBy4 05-07-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riq21
take a ball joint remover fork, stick it under the knob, and smack it with a mall. May take several hits, but will come off. The end of the shifter has splines, not threads. This will work.

How the hell are you planning on fitting an entire mall inside his truck to strike a balljoint fork?!

RagerTom 05-07-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBy4 (Post 876163)
How the hell are you planning on fitting an entire mall inside his truck to strike a balljoint fork?!

with a shrink ray duh:damnmate:

austinranger85 05-08-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackBy4 (Post 876163)

He's using a mall for ants!

Justacarpenter 05-13-2012 06:54 AM

A ball joint fork on you're knob sounds a bit sadistic to me......

I was just going to search for this very question. I want to remove the boot and the knob to heat up the shift lever and bend it back so I don't have to sit up to reach 1st, 3rd and OD.

Larry

BlackOut717 05-14-2012 08:45 AM

I know in my 02 I used an industrial heat gun there is almost like a putty holding it on that has to melt before the sucker will even budge, then take the ball joint tool, this makes it much easier

AdmNaismith 08-06-2017 08:27 PM

I had the hardest time- after peelong off the rubber shell, and breaking away the molded plastic ball I was still left with the aluminum core stubbornly stuck on the end of the stick shift.

I used the wrench-and-hammer method for 3 days before being reminded I had a creme brulee torch in the pantry.

About two to three minutes of direct heat where the knob met the shaft and the remaining plastic melted a bit and it pulled right off.

The new knob I have is threaded, so I will epoxy some threaded rod to the hollow shifter rod to make it changeable for the future.

WVJefo 08-07-2017 02:35 PM

Take the shifter off. There is a slightly weird screw/bolt at the bottom of the shifter. Then use ball joint fork and a hammer. Pops right off.