Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Winter Front (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/6072-winter-front.html)

Mayguy 01-12-2010 11:55 PM

Winter Front

Any of your northern boys (and gals) used Winter Front on your Ranger, of so, any good results on anything?

greyghost 01-13-2010 07:46 AM

can you post pic or give us some info on what the winter front is?

Mayguy 01-13-2010 07:56 AM

Winter Front <----click here.

It's not used much on cars now days, but figured help keep things a little bit warmer in the winter here in Minnesota. We have days steady below 0˚, and nights down into -20˚.

davidjsouth 01-13-2010 08:35 AM

I'm from Northern MI and I we have similar temps. However I'm not sure what you're referring to.

davidjsouth 01-13-2010 08:37 AM

I know what it is now. I had to google it. I've never used it. But I see on tractor trailers all the time.

It's basically a piece of canvas to cover your radiator area. Similar to a bra (not the femail apparel) material.

Mayguy 01-13-2010 08:39 AM

Click on the word "Winter front"

Jay FX4 01-13-2010 09:56 AM

If you have $50 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd be happy to take it for you.:)

Mayguy 01-13-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay FX4 (Post 52069)
If you have $50 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd be happy to take it for you.:)

LOL Nah, I don't have $50 in my wallet!

West 01-13-2010 10:51 AM

The only guys that run them in the middle of lower Michigan are the diesel guys and a few gassers. But our temps are not that low either. I will eventually end up using cardboard in front of my radiator because I only have a 2-mile drive to school and it doesn't even get up to temp.

MountainCat 01-18-2011 10:05 PM

Re: Winter Front

I have stainless steel inserts in the grill on my 03 superduty v10 and leave them on all year round. Being from the NWT with gravel roads and insect populations like you've never seen they are more a protection to the rad garding against punctures from the gravel and preventing the bugs from plugging the rad. Here in Dawson Creek it is all pavement but there is still the issues of the bugs so I think I'll be looking for something similar for my Ranger too

MC

Bird76Mojo 01-18-2011 10:55 PM

I've used a small piece of cardboard for years, on all of my vehicles. That thing is a total waste of money when you get the same results for free. WOW, just WOW.

GB :)

zx6rrdan 01-18-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bird76Mojo (Post 300006)
I've used a small piece of cardboard for years, on all of my vehicles. That thing is a total waste of money when you get the same results for free. WOW, just WOW.

What kind of difference do you notice with and without the cardboard?

Bird76Mojo 01-19-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zx6rrdan (Post 300052)
What kind of difference do you notice with and without the cardboard?

I don't have a real temperature "guage", just the stock one that tells you jack squat, but I do know that the truck warms up a lot faster and on the highway, when it around 0 degrees F, the truck actually has a heater. Before, on the highway, the truck would barely keep you warm and it took five miles of driving to warm up at all. Now it warms up in about 2.5 miles and gets nice and toasty. The piece of cardboard is really small. Only around 10"x10" or so, from my best guess.. Too cold to go look.

zx6rrdan 01-19-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bird76Mojo (Post 300087)
I don't have a real temperature "guage", just the stock one that tells you jack squat, but I do know that the truck warms up a lot faster and on the highway, when it around 0 degrees F, the truck actually has a heater. Before, on the highway, the truck would barely keep you warm and it took five miles of driving to warm up at all. Now it warms up in about 2.5 miles and gets nice and toasty. The piece of cardboard is really small. Only around 10"x10" or so, from my best guess.. Too cold to go look.

Thanks for the info I might have to give it a try... I'd love to help the truck heat up faster and reduce the amount of cold miles with really bad mileage.