Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Interior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/)
-   -   00 ranger rolls back in park (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/60491-00-ranger-rolls-park.html)

jmaguire 04-24-2012 11:50 AM

00 ranger rolls back in park

Hello all, new to the site. I bought a 00 Ranger with 98 thousand on it. It has one problem, when you put the shift indicator in park it rolls back. I bought the truck knowing this, a friend owned it. Any idea what could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Bobbyd963 04-24-2012 12:02 PM

Re: 00 ranger rolls back in park

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaguire (Post 859849)
Hello all, new to the site. I bought a 00 Ranger with 98 thousand on it. It has one problem, when you put the shift indicator in park it rolls back. I bought the truck knowing this, a friend owned it. Any idea what could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Put your emergency brake on before you put the truck into park. Once the E brake is on then proceed by shifting the truck into park.

doyouquaxu 04-24-2012 12:03 PM

how much does it roll back? couple inches to a foot? normal. that's just the parking prawl engaging and the tiny bit of movement it has.

jmaguire 04-24-2012 12:09 PM

It rolls away, does not stop. it is really strange, has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Bobbyd963 04-24-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaguire (Post 859869)
It rolls away, does not stop. it is really strange, has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know how to fix it?

So ultimately what your saying is if you were driving up a hill and you decided to pull off to the curb and put the truck into park, it would roll down the hill?

jmaguire 04-24-2012 12:21 PM

Yes, the other thing is that the friend who owned it before me took it to a "midas" and they said it was 500.00 to fix it. i really think it is something stupid. It drives fine, you have to play with the shifter to make sure it is in drive and not in 1,2. i have not pulled it apart yet just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem. Could it be the cable or adjustment wheel, not allowing it o go into park?

Bobbyd963 04-24-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmaguire (Post 859885)
Yes, the other thing is that the friend who owned it before me took it to a "midas" and they said it was 500.00 to fix it. i really think it is something stupid. It drives fine, you have to play with the shifter to make sure it is in drive and not in 1,2. i have not pulled it apart yet just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem. Could it be the cable or adjustment wheel, not allowing it o go into park?

Well anything is possible but yeah check the simplest things first linkage, brake line, brake fluid, column shifter itself etc.

doyouquaxu 04-24-2012 12:41 PM

it sounds like the park prowl is broken/missing completely.

jmaguire 04-24-2012 12:54 PM

Will check all the above, thought i would not re-invent the wheel if someone had experienced this and had the solution. I am thinking that it is going o be something stupid. I bought it for my Daughter, who does not know it is even purchased. I just wanted to fix it first, then give it to her. If it is more complicated than something easy I will figure out what to do, only paid 1250.00 for it.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyouquaxu (Post 859910)
it sounds like the park prowl is broken/missing completely.

Park prowl? never heard of that, you think it is a problem with the transmission?

doyouquaxu 04-24-2012 01:09 PM

when you shift into park, the park prowl engages and doesnt let the truck move. if its broken, the truck can roll while in park. ive heard of them breaking before, so its a possibility

CUTiger 04-24-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyouquaxu (Post 859941)
when you shift into park, the park prowl engages and doesnt let the truck move. if its broken, the truck can roll while in park. ive heard of them breaking before, so its a possibility

Its a park pawl...not park prowl. ;)

Check the cable going from the shifter to the tranny first and make sure its adjusted properly.

This image should help with what a park pawl is...

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/436...1817cgifge.gif

doyouquaxu 04-24-2012 01:37 PM

autocorrect + tapatalk = fail!

CUTiger 04-24-2012 01:40 PM

damn you auto correct!

Back in the early 90's there was a recall on rangers due to the park pawl not engaging properly when in park and the vehicle rolling away. The fix was to "simply" replace the park pawl.

doyouquaxu 04-24-2012 01:49 PM

bazing! i maybe can't spell but i can sure guess a diagnosis!

jmaguire 04-24-2012 03:55 PM

Sounds about right, How hard is it to replace the park pawl? I appreciate the picture. I plan on fixing it, replacing the tailgate and painting the truck. Cleaning the interior and then giving her the truck, hope she will enjoy it.