Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   no spark coils are good as well as icm and crank position sensor. still no spark (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/60431-spark-coils-icm-crank-position-sensor-spark.html)

RangerPurple 04-23-2012 05:41 PM

no spark coils are good as well as icm and crank position sensor. still no spark

it will turn over all day long but im getting no spark. driving one day and it just died on me and everything is testing good with no check engine light

----------

i have also tested all of my wiring to and from the icm and cannot find a bad wire or ground. i even tried buying new coils but they did not fix anything as well as the icm. the crank sensor has also been replaced once again nothing has happened.
i was thinking maybe the cam sensor but i cannot find one, i can buy it at autozone but its not even in the haynes manual.
any suggestions on where to go from here?

RangerDanger27 04-23-2012 07:42 PM

Im just about in the same boat as ypu have tried everything and still strong crank....no start.

I can smell raw fuel when I do crank....im gonna try double platinum plugs see what I get.

modelageek 04-24-2012 08:44 AM

Re: no spark coils are good as well as icm and crank position sensor. still no spark

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerPurple (Post 858823)
it will turn over all day long but im getting no spark. driving one day and it just died on me and everything is testing good with no check engine light

----------

i have also tested all of my wiring to and from the icm and cannot find a bad wire or ground. i even tried buying new coils but they did not fix anything as well as the icm. the crank sensor has also been replaced once again nothing has happened.
i was thinking maybe the cam sensor but i cannot find one, i can buy it at autozone but its not even in the haynes manual.

unless you have a California truck you do not have a cam sensor.....I assume that since you replaced the crank sensor the timing belt is ok....because you need to remove the TB to get to the crank sensor.

Do you have fuel?

did you check the ECU fuse? ECU relay?

RangerDanger27 04-24-2012 09:30 AM

RangerPurple what years is your truck?

----------

Cam sensor on mine is behind the oil pump.

modelageek 04-24-2012 09:44 AM

Re: no spark coils are good as well as icm and crank position sensor. still no spark

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerDanger27 (Post 859720)
RangerPurple what years is your truck?

----------

Cam sensor on mine is behind the oil pump.

RangerPurple was smart enough to create a signature of his truck. He has a 1994.......his sig is lacking some info but it is better then 90% of the members here!..........the 1994 2.3 does not have a cam sensor unless it is a CA truck. He is from Michigan so most likely he does not have one.

RangerPurple 04-24-2012 03:40 PM

ModelaGeek, thank you for the info about the signiture i will update it asap.
i am getting fuel my fuel pressure is great, the only problem is the spark. Also i do not believe it came from california either due to the rust on the frame. i guess what i am getting at is the pcm then??
and yes the timing belt was ok, i did not have to remove it to replace the crank sensor just the harmonic balancer and the timing cover.
I am open to all info i can get

RangerDanger27 04-24-2012 08:00 PM

Good thing in not the only one wiyhout a sig

----------

Rangerpurple, have you checked your spark plugs and wires?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FRF App

modelageek 04-25-2012 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerPurple (Post 858823)

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerPurple (Post 860125)
ModelaGeek, thank you for the info about the signiture i will update it asap.
i am getting fuel my fuel pressure is great, the only problem is the spark. Also i do not believe it came from california either due to the rust on the frame. i guess what i am getting at is the pcm then??
and yes the timing belt was ok, i did not have to remove it to replace the crank sensor just the harmonic balancer and the timing cover.
I am open to all info i can get

are you saying that you tested for power at the icm, coilpacks etc, and you have power?

did you put all 3 screws back correctly for the ICM? they are grounds

RangerPurple 04-25-2012 11:03 AM

yes all three screws are back in place. and yes ive tested everything that i can think of. im not sure if i can test the pcm or how? and yes i have power to and from all of the coils and icm.
the plugs are good almost brand new i even took one out of my dads truck (same as mine) and it did nothing not sure how to test the wires but i guess that could be a problem

modelageek 04-25-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerPurple (Post 861140)
yes all three screws are back in place. and yes ive tested everything that i can think of. im not sure if i can test the pcm or how? and yes i have power to and from all of the coils and icm.
the plugs are good almost brand new i even took one out of my dads truck (same as mine) and it did nothing not sure how to test the wires but i guess that could be a problem

if you have power at the coil packs and the coil packs are new....I have no idea why you don't have a spark......did you check for spark on all the wires?

----------

I am pretty sure at start up the drivers side coilpack will not spark.....

RangerPurple 04-25-2012 11:45 AM

i didnt check all of the wires. just a couple of cylinders. i did not know that the driver side does not spark. thank you
could it also be the wires? i wouldnt really think that all of them would go bad at once but i have never had to mess with them before

brokedownranger94 11-26-2012 07:28 PM

Just wondering if you found out why you was not getting spark. I have a similar problem and running out of ideas

jarrod27 11-26-2012 09:28 PM

You can test the computer to module wires for square wave with scope or voltage change with multi meter. Are you sure the coils secondarys aren't getting switched? The module does the switching. The ignition system in your truck has a crank sensor, ignition module, coils, and computer. There are 4 wires going to the module from the computer, some of them need to be sending square waves to the module while cranking to activate the module. Back probe at the module and check for voltage change at module one at a time. You really need to clean all your engine and battery grounds also because that can cause a no start since there wouldn't be good enough current. Also there's a shorting bar on the pink computer to module wire. Don't ruin your computer by testing it wrong, one wrong move and it's toast.