Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   Fuel Gauge problems (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/6034-fuel-gauge.html)

More_Cowbell 01-12-2010 05:14 AM

Fuel Gauge problems

well my 1990's fuel gauge dosent work i remember that my friends 91 explorer had the same problem and i was wondering if it was a common problem and what the fix would be

FireRanger 01-12-2010 05:21 AM

Very common. The electrical connector at the top of the tank rots out. You need to either drop the tank or remove the bed to access and repair it.

earnbud 01-12-2010 03:43 PM

i have the same problem and its probably the connector , should i just get a new connector and splice it in or whole new wire , and if i took the bed off of my 94 how many bolts hold it down

FireRanger 01-13-2010 11:32 AM

Well the number of bolts isn't the problem. There's probably six or eight. The problem is first you need the huge torx socket, a huge socket wrench to fit it, and a huge pipe to use a breaker bar to break the bolts loose. You'll also need a can of liquid wrench od WD40 or some kind of prenetrating oil to pretreat the bolts an hour or two before you try to remove them. Trust me, they will not go quietly. Then after you get the bolts out, you will need a team of football quarterbacks to help you lift the bed up and walk it back from the truck and put it down on the ground.

Once you do that, you have access to the top of the tank where the corroded sender connector is. On my old truck, I just soldered the wires to the sender permanently and covered it all in silicone before covering it back up. You could do that or you could buy a new sender and a new connector for the wires.

More_Cowbell 01-16-2010 09:55 PM

well i figured out my problem after looking on google and if your float dosent float your gonna get a constant empty tank lol so i would check the float aswell just pop it off and shake it and see if yah hear a liquid sound it happend on mine so i hope thats it

FireRanger 01-16-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by More_Cowbell (Post 53529)
well i figured out my problem after looking on google and if your float dosent float your gonna get a constant empty tank lol so i would check the float aswell just pop it off and shake it and see if yah hear a liquid sound it happend on mine so i hope thats it

Umm, well that could also be the case. Either way, you can't get to it without removing the bed or dropping the tank. The wiring fix is actually easier and cheaper than replacing the entire sender.

More_Cowbell 01-16-2010 10:40 PM

oh yeah thats defintly the cheaper than a whole new sensor but i was just saying i thing its just the float because my connector to it looks good and the float has liquid in it so its like 5 bucks for a new float

FireRanger 01-17-2010 07:41 AM

Oh I didn't know you got the bed off or dropped the tank already. Cool. Yea when the floats go bad, they rot out and fill up with gas so that's your problem. You should be able to move the arm by hand and see your gauge move.

More_Cowbell 01-17-2010 08:11 AM

well i checked the ohm value with a multimeter and moved the arm and the resistancew changed through the whole thing but ill try plugging in just to make sure cause when i went to take the bed off one of the nuts broke free from the frame so i had to drop the tank and thats a pain in the ass and i would hate to put it back in there and find out it dont work

nismo2k6 04-19-2010 02:00 PM

Re: Fuel Gauge problems

Here's how I fixed my fuel gauge problem on my 87 Ranger 2.9L

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/6-cyl...87-ranger.html

earnbud 05-16-2010 08:35 PM

Im back again with this problem , i ended up having to buy a new fuel pump cause my old one was getting really bad and i got the whole sending unit with it

It seems like sometimes when i fill the tank completely it works but when i dont have much in there then it doesnt work

Could just the old wiring be back , if so were can i get a whole new harness for it and like i said before , were does the other end of the plug go to

90fordranger 05-16-2010 09:06 PM

hey, mine does not work either. Mechanic checked it out, says "I need a new gas tank" so i just said heck with it. i wach my miles.

earnbud 05-16-2010 09:29 PM

well i can live with it but it would be nice to get it working properly

dangerous 05-24-2010 10:03 AM

only problem with my fuel gauge is the dam thing is always on empty lol:mad:

FireRanger 05-24-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90fordranger (Post 125086)
hey, mine does not work either. Mechanic checked it out, says "I need a new gas tank" so i just said heck with it. i wach my miles.

You need a new mechanic if he's telling you that.