Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   4.0L power/performance chip (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/5993-4-0l-power-performance-chip.html)

TheDangerRanger 01-11-2010 09:00 AM

4.0L power/performance chip

i have a 4.0L ranger splash side that im looking to get more power out of. i have a cutom built cold air intake, and a glass pack exhaust system. now im looking at adding a throttle body spacer and a chip... anything els you could recommend? currently im looking at a jet performance chip HERE but i would like to know if anyone has a different brad they would recommend... from the reviews on teh jet chip it sounds liek its only adding about 5-6 hp tops

dixie_boysles 01-11-2010 09:05 AM

dont wast your money on a chip of throttle body spacer, they do nothing...you may as well be adding a muffler bearing and blinker fluid! just get a programmer, and heasers to complete it and that should add some power. the only real way to get more power out of a 4.0 is a supercharger or get a bigger truck

02'4.04x4 01-11-2010 10:25 AM

I am running Jet's chip, and well as of 1kmls. later I am not too impressed.
I noticed that the 4.0 was torquey at stock and well it is still torquey. . .
I would say that there is a moderate improvement during open throttle and that is about it.
Still has sloppy guzzling takeoffs in normal driving. I would have to say that the gearing is cancelling out some of the benifits. Maybe if your truck has the non-towing gears it would help a bit more. But like Dixie noted, it's nothing worth mentioning on a towing vehicle, unless you are towing. . . . .

TB spacer. . . Don't believe the hype.

TheDangerRanger 01-11-2010 11:36 AM

well as ar as it goes what can i do to pump it up at bit, i have cold air and a glass pack exhaust and if a tbs and a chip wont do much what can i do ??? anything or is that if for performance upgrades?

dixie_boysles 01-11-2010 11:52 AM

other than headers, adding a supercharge is your only chance of increasing HP

Stumblefoot 01-11-2010 07:59 PM

I put a SuperChips programmer on my 3.0 and it helped alot, what helped most was calibrating the eng/trans to the larger tires. I did some other mods and a tune up the same weekend, but it sure boosted up the "FUN" factor.

TheDangerRanger 01-11-2010 09:14 PM

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot (Post 51287)
I put a SuperChips programmer on my 3.0 and it helped alot, what helped most was calibrating the eng/trans to the larger tires. I did some other mods and a tune up the same weekend, but it sure boosted up the "FUN" factor.

thank you... any way you could find a link for the programmer i would need for my truck ???

PowerRanger 01-12-2010 05:52 PM

i heard a SCT Performance tuner is good but i`m saveing up for it! i would like to know how well one works too?

dirtball 04-23-2011 04:58 AM

Re: 4.0L power/performance chip

i have a 93 ford ranger with a 4.0 2wd 5speed and its misfireing ive put new plugs, wires, coil, tps, and oxegyn positioning sensor and its still doin it i dont have a clue wat it could be any advice

Botta Ranger 04-23-2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtball (Post 400103)
i have a 93 ford ranger with a 4.0 2wd 5speed and its misfireing ive put new plugs, wires, coil, tps, and oxegyn positioning sensor and its still doin it i dont have a clue wat it could be any advice

Use the search feature, there are hundreds of post like yours. If that doesn't work start a new thread dirt. No one will see it here.

FoxRanger 09-11-2011 07:20 AM

Re: thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDangerRanger (Post 51320)
thank you... any way you could find a link for the programmer i would need for my truck ???

i might be a little late but i believe the flashpaq 1865 would do ya good ;)

Sarge2155 09-27-2011 12:27 PM

I indeed have the Superchips tuner in my 4.0 with cat-back magnaflows. My truck was quite peppy before the addition of the tuner and cats, but now she runs real good. I am able to hits speeds in excess of 115 mph.

For a little truck and motor I like it fairly well. She is my daily driver and runs very good. I am the second owner shes got 97k on her and so far seems solid as a rock still (knock on wood), but yeah go with the tuner it does add a bit more power if nothing else it removes the speed limiter. :rock:

Taterbeam 10-17-2011 06:09 PM

You Guys are talking about chips not helping on your 4.0's. Do you think it would help with my little 2.3?

Botta Ranger 10-18-2011 04:23 AM

A guy needs more HP when he's driving around with his foot on the floor at near redline and still not getting the job done. That can happen when you're pulling a heavy trailer or racing for money. Where exactly are you coming up short?

Taterbeam 10-20-2011 03:55 PM

Everywhere!