Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   engine coolant temperature location (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/58141-engine-coolant-temperature-location.html)

fordranger95 03-25-2012 10:58 AM

engine coolant temperature location

hey guys im trying to find out where is the engine coolant temperature switch located on the 95 2.3 ranger..... my coolant gauge does not work.. the needle always stays in the middle and never really moves and the scanner pulled p0118 code.... first where is it located and would this fix my gauge problem..

FireRanger 03-25-2012 11:04 AM

Re: engine coolant temperature location

Uh, that's where it is supposed to be?? It should start cold and warm up to the middle where it should stay and not move.

tomboy 03-25-2012 11:30 AM

Does your guage move all the way to cold when you shut off the truck, and then instantly go to the middle when you turn the key on, if so it might be the sender, but sounds more like the guage.

Tracer78 03-25-2012 12:33 PM

I believe the sender unit is located in the middle of the heater hose, that goes from engine to firewall. thats where mine seems to be. You can always pull the wire off the sender (if that is it) and with the key on, ground that wire and have someone see if the temp gauge moves, it should max out if it works, but I also wonder if your gauge is messed up..

fordranger95 03-25-2012 04:15 PM

no i mean that the gauge is stuck in the middle weather the car is turned on or off... it doesnt move at all.... it just stays in the middle range. i have never seen the needle move once......

Jcmarmon 04-11-2013 06:29 PM

Ok, I found it on my truck. I have a 2002 2.3L 4x2. I am having the same problem. Mine is stuck in the cold position. It is behind the engine about 4-6 inches down and a B@!#H to get to. I think it takes metric because I have standard wrenches and I could not get it off to replace it. I hope this helps.

Jcmarmon 04-12-2013 06:43 PM

I was able to get it changed out. It turned out to be a 3/4 in wrench that did the job. There was a plastic cote on the bolt that needed to come off for the 3/4 to work. It was a very slow process because I could only turn it 1/16 of an inch at a time. That besing said it did not fix my problem. The temp gauge does not move. Does anybody have any ideas to why and who I can fix it?

modelageek 04-13-2013 04:28 AM

Re: Re: engine coolant temperature location

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcmarmon (Post 1360520)
I was able to get it changed out. It turned out to be a 3/4 in wrench that did the job. There was a plastic cote on the bolt that needed to come off for the 3/4 to work. It was a very slow process because I could only turn it 1/16 of an inch at a time. That besing said it did not fix my problem. The temp gauge does not move. Does anybody have any ideas to why and who I can fix it?

You might have changed the ect sensor.

T12icky0 04-13-2013 05:11 AM

could just be the gauge. have you taken the cluster off and replugged it back in to see if that works? sometimes the connections become loose in the back, or there is gunk buildup on the connections.

ddunfee 04-13-2013 08:19 AM

The sending unit for the gauge is under the oil filter, you get at it from under the truck. If your gauge doesn't move then check out the gauge first. The sending unit has nothing to do with the gauge when the key is off.

Jcmarmon 04-13-2013 07:05 PM

I took the gauge cluster off and looked at it, but it sill does not work. I will move slightly after I start the truck, but will stay on cold. I talked with some of the local techs. and they suggested that I buy a new gauge cluster. I have it on order and should have it installed by Tuesday. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

T12icky0 04-13-2013 07:24 PM

Good to know. Pretty much narrowed down to the cluster.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FRF App

Jcmarmon 04-16-2013 08:01 PM

Ok so I replaced the gauge cluster and it still does not work. I have replaced the coolant temp switch, the gauge cluster, and the heat control valve, and none have made a difference. My temp gauge will only move slightly after I start the truck, so I don't think it is a wiring problem. Do ya'll think it could be the thermostat and it is stuck open? Could the gauge be reading a true temp and the truck is just not getting to an operating temp. The heater does not get very hot and I don't smell antifreeze.

T12icky0 04-16-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcmarmon (Post 1368621)
Ok so I replaced the gauge cluster and it still does not work. I have replaced the coolant temp switch, the gauge cluster, and the heat control valve, and none have made a difference. My temp gauge will only move slightly after I start the truck, so I don't think it is a wiring problem. Do ya'll think it could be the thermostat and it is stuck open? Could the gauge be reading a true temp and the truck is just not getting to an operating temp. The heater does not get very hot and I don't smell antifreeze.

Ooh i thought you had already changed the thermostat. That would have been my first thing i would've done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FRF App

ddunfee 04-17-2013 07:46 AM

Sorry, I didn't see that you say that you didn't have heat. Yes change the thermostat and use fords thermostat for ease of changing.

----------

Looking back I think this post got hijacked.