Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Doesn't want to go into gear (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/57959-doesnt-gear.html)

forddanger 03-22-2012 06:57 PM

Doesn't want to go into gear

Hey folks. So, i have a 2002 ford ranger 2.3 4 cyl 2 wheel drive standard cab. Clutch goes in fine but (manual) stick shift wont go into gear. it doesnt grind but just doesnt want to go. What might the problem be. Thanks in advance

EMB1230 03-22-2012 06:59 PM

Sounds like your slave cyl might be going bad

Sent from my iPhone 4 using the FRF App

Silverick 03-22-2012 08:01 PM

Re: Doesn't want to go into gear

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMB1230 (Post 816349)
Sounds like your slave cyl might be going bad

Sent from my iPhone 4 using the FRF App

Or, even an adjustment....

forddanger 03-22-2012 08:21 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
thanks guys:tee:

4b316 03-23-2012 05:05 AM

Can you start it in gear?I have seen the face come apart on the clutch disc and it won't release

elplayero75 03-23-2012 07:26 AM

Is it all the gears or just one?

forddanger 03-23-2012 08:42 AM

I haven't tried starting it in gear and, it's all the gears, not just one. I really appreciacte all the input.

----------

Also I forgot to mention, It first did this a while ago when on a hill in stop and go traffic. I managed to slam it around enough for it to start working again, that was about five months ago. It ran fine for the next five months! And then the same thing happened on the same hill, (a few days ago), and after some gear slamming it drove home. The next morning it wouldn't go into gear so I've let it sit and here i am.

****Also there is no grinding when trying to shift, and the gear will engage slightly when pushing the shit knob toward the gear position***

StockBlueFord 03-23-2012 10:12 AM

It happened while you were on a hill? check you fluid level. it may be a little low and made you suck some air. its a long shot though. other than that it probably is a leaky slave cylinder.

forddanger 03-23-2012 12:56 PM

i just tried starting it in first gear and it jumped forward.

elplayero75 03-23-2012 01:28 PM

While u had the clutch pushed down?

somidscr21 03-23-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StockBlueFord (Post 816971)
It happened while you were on a hill? check you fluid level. it may be a little low and made you suck some air. its a long shot though. other than that it probably is a leaky slave cylinder.

I would bet on this. Except that your fluid level is low probably BECAUSE of a leaky slave cylinder.

forddanger 03-23-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elplayero75 (Post 817180)
While u had the clutch pushed down?

Yes. And the fluid level in the resivoir is fine. I haven't checked the tran. fluid yet though. This has been a great truck and i've been anticipating something like this.

Silverick 03-23-2012 06:21 PM

My thoughts are that if the clutch wasn't slipping and the clutch reservoir is full.... The slave cylinder is bad.

meysabri85 03-23-2012 06:32 PM

Bad clutch! Check PP, disk and slave cylinder....if they're ok, then check the master cylinder and if it's all good, then burp and bleed the system as in the video. I had the same problem with mine, but in my case, all those parts were deffective, so I replaced and I burped and bled the system time and time again untill I got it right. Careful when getting the disk out cause it is very fragile in the center and it brakes, and if it does, it's barely noticeable but gears won't engage or disengage or it will be difficult. That happenned to me!

4b316 03-24-2012 05:36 AM

If you feel like the clutch is working but just won't disengage,sometimes the rivets in the disc pop out and stays against the flywheel.See if you can get someone to push the clutch in while you are under it(not running and jack stands)and se if you see any leaks and maybe you can take off the flywheelcover/shield and see if you can see the throwout bearing move.