Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   4.0 SOHC to 4.0 SOHC swap (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/57028-4-0-sohc-4-0-sohc-swap.html)

slatercat 03-12-2012 09:58 AM

4.0 SOHC to 4.0 SOHC swap

I am putting a 4.0 SOHC from an 06 mustang into an 01 ranger that has a 4.0 SOHC.

questions:

Which parts will i need to swap over?

Does the coil pack need swapped?

Do the injectors and fuel rail need swapped?

Upper and lower intake?

Are the exhaust manifolds compatible?

Any other things i should know?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Also do i use the spark plugs that are compatible with the old block or the new block?

crowdpleazer 03-13-2012 04:07 AM

Re: 4.0 SOHC to 4.0 SOHC swap

id say that your gonna have to use as much mustang stuff as you can

Fordfan444 03-14-2012 10:29 PM

Ok ... I'm in a similiar situation ... but if you have everything from your 2001 Ranger you're in good shape. My upper intake, fuel rails and injectors are 200 miles from me at a salvage yard in Nashville, TN.
You're gonna need to use your old injectors because the injectors were changed in 2004. I don't think the 2004 injectors put out more fuel but the electrical connectors on the 2004 + 4.0 SOHC are different.
Basically if you just use the long block from the Mustang you'll be fine but all the extra stuff like the engine wiring harness can't be used.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowdpleazer (Post 803605)
id say that your gonna have to use as much mustang stuff as you can

It's actually just the oppisite ... he's gonna need to use everything from his 2001 4.0 SOHC.
The three biggest issues are the engine wiring harness, MAF sensor plug and the engine mounting brackets.

slatercat 03-15-2012 12:34 PM

Thank you for the information. This is my first swap. I suspected it would be as you said from what i learned through internet searches, but wanted an input on my particular situation.

The ranger is complete. Hoping to have my swap done by the end of next week. Crossing my fingers for nice weather.

Fordfan444 03-15-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slatercat (Post 806623)
Thank you for the information. This is my first swap. I suspected it would be as you said from what i learned through internet searches, but wanted an input on my particular situation.

The ranger is complete. Hoping to have my swap done by the end of next week. Crossing my fingers for nice weather.

You're welcome
My Ranger is complete too :-)
It's nice to have a 2004 + 4.0 SOHC in a 2001-2003 Ranger that had all the timing chain tensioner issues.
My engine has 89K on it and I hope I get 300K out of it. I think the 2003 timing chain tensioner blew up because the previous owner didn't change the oil.

2001Ranger4x4 03-16-2012 08:25 AM

Strip the Mustang motor down to the block and heads. Use the Mustang long block only. Put all the external Ranger components on the Mustang engine, and it should work great. Just for you information, the Mustang and Ranger use the same knock sensor and crank position sensor. The cam position sensor is different, so use the ranger sensor.