Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   transmission jerks goin up hill (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/55535-transmission-jerks-goin-hill.html)

Mossy Oak Machine 02-25-2012 11:49 AM

transmission jerks goin up hill

I have a 98 2wd automatic and when i'm goin up hill or even sometimes just goin down the road the trans seems to jerk. i floor it then it downshifts and its fine anybody got any ideas?

pooleo 02-25-2012 12:51 PM

Re: transmission jerks goin up hill

Is it possible its the engine missing/bucking?

Mossy Oak Machine 02-25-2012 01:09 PM

i guess its possible but it feels like the drive train. i checked the spark plugs and cleaned them and they seemed fine.

clanier4x4 02-25-2012 01:17 PM

It's either a wire/ plug. I've got the same problem right now I need to change my plugs and wires...had this problem about 3 months with another plug should've changed them all when I had the chance. It will only get worse, sounds like its time for a change.

Mossy Oak Machine 02-25-2012 01:19 PM

does anyone know how much that might cost to change the wires and plugs?

Mossy Oak Machine 02-25-2012 01:38 PM

The only prob is that when it does this i can hear the engine runin smooth. does anyone else have this problem?

pooleo 02-25-2012 02:00 PM

I think you should establish a base line first. Do a tune up, plugs, wires, oil change, air filer, fuel filter, etc. Eliminate any possible engine problems. Clean MAF, IAC, etc.

Mossy Oak Machine 02-25-2012 02:32 PM

ok thanks guys

Mossy Oak Machine 03-14-2012 05:39 AM

Just did this a couple weeks ago changed the plugs and wires and fuel filter nothin else since i've already changed a bunch of stuff and it seems to have stopped. I also did the throttle cable mod which i've been havin to watch cause thats gettin me in a little trouble. Also the fuel filter change was a little problem cause it had been on there for so long that the collar in the exiting fuel line was rusted on the filter. So i had to call the local dealer to try and get a new line and found out that it was discontinued. Had to go to napa and get a repair line. These were the only people i could find it at.

So thanks again guys.

zekew64 03-15-2012 10:19 AM

Just some experience that I've had from a previous vehicle.

A few years back, I owned a 1989 Chevy Celebrity. Before you all start booing me, yes, I know, I've been converted--lol; but anyway. Before I quit driving the car, I noticed that whenever I would go uphill or come to a stop, the car would jerk sometimes--and even some times to where it would stall. The problem ended up being a torque converter clutch solenoid--basically, the transmission would not downshift from 4th or overdrive when it needed to.

Which tells me that that might be your problem; but warning you, unless you can get to it and pull it, it's not going to be cheap to fix.

Mossy Oak Machine 03-15-2012 04:57 PM

Dad thought it was that but after the plugs and wires it hasn't done it again so i'm hopin that fixed it cause i know it wouldn't be an easy fix. Specialy cause i'm the one doin the work.