Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Project Logs (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/project-logs/)
-   -   1965 chevy C10 build thread (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/project-logs/55201-1965-chevy-c10-build-thread.html)

1994rangerXLT 02-21-2012 07:48 PM

1965 chevy C10 build thread

20 Attachment(s)
So my brother and I have always grew up around street rods, and one of the things that bothers me about what the other street rodders do is that it's all somewhat of the same thing, you never really see anything different other than peoples different tastes in some area of the car. So this thread is taking a 1965 chevy pickup truck with a small block 283, and converting it into a cummins.

My brother originally had a 1941 ford pickup that my grandpa left behind, along with the '34 ford coupe for me, and my uncle was just talking one day, honestly just joking and said, "hey I know a guy that owns a nice little '65 chevy that he wouldn't mind trading for that old '41 you have in pieces." he was talking about himself, and so I thought HA! Yeah right!.. my thoughts were wrong, he calls my uncle up a week later and that next weekend the '41 is gone and this blueish purple '65 is sitting in the drive way. And so the journey begins. He has had the truck for about two years now with the occasional malfunctions, from brakes, to starter, to electrical issues and all the fun other little things.

So enough with all of the talking, here are a few pictures along the way.

Beginning
Attachment 11447

With the car
Attachment 11449

First thing off
Attachment 11450

Motor
Attachment 11451

Attachment 11452

Attachment 11453

Trying to get it out
Attachment 11454

Attachment 11455

Attachment 11456

Bye bye weany motor!
Attachment 11457

Attachment 11458

Attachment 11459

So this is where the fun begins, he knows he needs a beafier suspension to hold this cummins, so he goes on craigslist to see if they've got anything. He was lucky, he ends up find a 3/4 ton frame from a truck from the '80's. I believe he paid $300?? For the frame

Attachment 11465

So he stripped it down and took the suspension from the frame and scrapped the frame. He kept the rearend and all of the front.

Here's a little picture of his daily and the truck just sitting.

Attachment 11466

Just last night he finds a guy with a cummins motor for $500, he talked to different guys, asking hey is this motor similar to this? Some say no don't do this it's gonna be a pain, your in way over your head, it won't fit, what are you thinking? This is just ruining a nice little truck. All kinds of just bad comments. But I believe this drives him more. You say I can't do it? Watch me. And when I get this thing Rollin. You wont be riding in a truck that you said won't ever work.

Anyways, so we pick up this motor last night for $500, my brother chewed him down from $750 for this motor and we brought it home.

Here's a few pictures that I took today of the new motor.

Attachment 11475

Attachment 11476

Attachment 11477

Attachment 11478

And of course one with my truck

Attachment 11479

More to come, lots to do, and it's gonna be fun to see how this thing turns out.

Thanks for reading

jfreakofkorn 02-23-2012 04:45 PM

Re: 1965 chevy C10 build thread

Nice little truck there.
I miss mine.
Easy to work on and plenty of room to move around.
Does yours have rust in the water channel or the back end of the cab...??