Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   4x4 tries to engage but there's a loud grinding noise (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/54876-4x4-tries-engage-theres-loud-grinding-noise.html)

Shredder 02-19-2012 12:22 AM

4x4 tries to engage but there's a loud grinding noise

Hi all,
Brand new to the forum and the reason I joined is because my truck is gettin pretty beat up in the past couple years, I need a resource.
My problem is this:
First off, I have a 94 4.0L 4x4 ranger.
Ok, when I push my 4x4 button, I hear a slight click, then I hear a grinding noise that gets louder as I speed up. While it's making this noise, 4x4 isn't actually engaged. I can press the button and the noise will stop. It's as if its trying to engage while making the god awful sound.
At first I thought it was the shift motor, it still could be, but I honestly do not know anymore. Would the hubs have anything to do with this?
No idea if it helps but I have 97.5k miles on it.

I appreciate any help!

ps. i looked up other posts on 4x4 problems but none had this grinding noise that i saw.

lostpilot28 03-09-2012 09:42 AM

Re: 4x4 tries to engage but there's a loud grinding noise

Did you ever find out what this was? I have a '99 XLT with a 3.0L engine, 5 speed manual tranny. The owners manual says I can swith from 2WD to 4x4 High at highway speeds, but I get the "grinding noise" you describe (I actually describe mine as a loud buzzing).

The interesting thing is that when I slow down (maybe less than 10 mph), I hear a solid *thunk* and it engages the front wheels. I've been chalking it up to a weak electric motor (whatever that thing is called that everyone needs to rebuild).

Is that what you experts think it is? Could it be anything else? 4x4 works great when it's engaged...just can't engage it over 10 mph or so.

Shredder 03-12-2012 07:32 PM

Well I don't think it is the shift motor. I bought another shift motor, changed it, and experienced the same problem. I believe it's the automatic locking hubs. Something is preventing my front left wheel from engaging 4x4 and I'm almost positive it's the hubs. I just received new manual hubs the other day and will get those things on pretty soon. I'll keep you posted

Eagle 03-12-2012 07:33 PM

it does that if your on pavement

16rangerdanger 04-03-2014 03:57 PM

did you ever figure out what it was? I have the same issue

Shredder 04-04-2014 08:30 AM

Sadly I can never be sure what it was because I sold the truck last year and never put the warn manual hubs on the truck. I don't want to mislead you and say that's what it was, because I never figured it out. Either way, the hubs aren't too expensive so it may be worth troubleshooting.

Best of luck.

16rangerdanger 04-04-2014 07:06 PM

oooh thanks for letting me know