Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   camshaft sensor / synchronizer (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/5325-camshaft-sensor-synchronizer.html)

blu ranger guy 12-22-2009 01:21 PM

camshaft sensor / synchronizer

Hey all , I have an 03 ranger v6 that has a chirping sound coming from the back of the motor. the truck cranks easy, idles and runs fine and no warning lights have come on. i've removed the belt and ran the truck and still here the chirping sound, i've narrowed it down to the camshaft position sensor / synchronizer and was wondering what causes the chirping sound that i here . is it the sensor or the synchronizer that has gone bad . any and all help appreciated. p.s this chirping sound has been going on for a few months.:confused:

Psychopete 12-23-2009 07:20 AM

Sounds like you have the common symptoms of a failing synchronizer. It's been said that they fail from lack of lubrication. The gear on the end gets eaten up, and this is a vital piece that's involved with driving the oil pump. When it cannot be spun by the camshaft anymore, the engine will sieze with little or no warning. And you will need a new engine if this is the case.

Pete

Gearhead299 12-27-2009 10:10 AM

^^^^X2

check the sensor and replace immediatly if the teeth on it are worn out, mine wore out but didn't make any noise, one day three of the worn out teeth laid over, my oil pump stopped spinning and my engine locked up, happened very quickly

dos0711 02-12-2010 05:16 AM

Mine has started chirping...I parked it and will change that puppy out this weekend...it's not worth losing a motor...NAPA has them for about $45...with the alignment tool

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...711/962381.jpg

rwenzing 02-12-2010 06:18 AM

I would pay the extra money and go with OE Ford replacement parts. The auto parts stores and eBay are filled with Chinese knockoffs and many owners have had bad experiences with them failing at low miles.

dos0711 02-12-2010 09:50 AM

Yeah, I just got through reading page after page of how the Dorman cam syncs fail and are chinese crap

RangerLuc 02-12-2010 01:30 PM

sounds like a pretty serious problem. is this a quick fix??

dos0711 02-12-2010 01:47 PM

It's very similar to replacing a distributor...not that hard.

blu ranger guy 02-12-2010 04:03 PM

i bought a motorcraft synchronizer at o'reillys for $161.00 and my mechanic put it in for $140.00. XL autoparts also has motorcraft for $200.00. didn't need to replace the sensor because it was still good. my mechanic is adamant about using only motorcraft in ford vehicles. fyi ford wanted almost $600.00 to do the same job.

littleblue 02-12-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos0711 (Post 69257)
NAPA has them for about $45...with the alignment tool

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...711/962381.jpg

Replaced mine with a napa last year and had to replace it within 6 months, go with the oem ford unit.

dos0711 02-13-2010 03:07 PM

Well, I got it changed out. That was really not too hard! I went to O'Reilly's and they had it for me by 10:30 this morning. While I was at it, I changed the oil out with Motorcraft 5w-20 and a Motorcraft oil filter. My sync was definitely bad as it squeaked when I turned it by hand. Hopefully, I dodged a bullet!

BTW, the sync was Motorcraft too.

yllwrngr 03-04-2010 07:35 PM

This is a great post, thanks for the helpful info.

We have an '03 V6 with 144k miles. It's making the same chirping sound from the rear of the engine compartment. Sounds like it's located near the top of the compartment rather than the lower. This occured when in park and at idle. The sound went away when revving the engine.

The fact that this occurred leads me to believe that there is a lubrication prob involving the oil pump, because when revving the engine, the oil pump works harder and gets the job done, thereby eliminating the sound?

That said, here's my real question........

We have also began having this problem-- when at speeds over 40mph, when hard acceleration is applied, we hear a clattering or pinging sound from the engine compartment.... and the engine 'stalls' briefly. It's as though there's a total loss of power for a brief second. This may occur in rapid succession if hard acceleration is continued.

My thoughts were an engine timing issue or a fuel system prob. Since reading this post, it seems to be related to engine timing, since this sensor has to do with cam position.

Sorry for being long-winded..... any ideas?

LAK1 03-05-2010 08:45 AM

I've been trying to zero in on a chirping noise too. This morning I started my truck and after driving probably 0.25 mile with the usual chirp, I stalled out while idling at a stop light. (btw, I also had the defrost on full blast) I was able to immediately start the truck back up. It has never done this before so I'm certain that whatever is chirping was the culprit. I've suspected the cam sync, but I'm not sure. I popped the hood once I reached my destination. The chirp seems more pronounced underneath the truck. Any ideas?
(fyi: I've already replaced the belt tensioner, pulley, and belt)

yllwrngr 03-06-2010 02:04 PM

Re: camshaft sensor / synchronizer

Is it necessary to remove part of the intake manifold to get to this thing? I'm having a hard time finding it.

'03 V6

rwenzing 03-06-2010 03:54 PM

Re: camshaft sensor / synchronizer

The upper intake manifold has to come off.