Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Audio / Video (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/)
-   -   How to run speaker wire through the door (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/52625-run-speaker-wire-door.html)

Ford92Ranger 01-26-2012 08:11 PM

How to run speaker wire through the door

I am wiring up a 4-channel amp, and I was wondering if anybody knew the best way to get the speaker wire from the backseat (where the amp is) into each door. I haven't really looked at it yet but I thought I would ask on here first. I know there are the rubber grommets that the wires for the speakers go through from the head unit, and the power windows/power locks wires go through there. But it looks like they end up behind the dash.

doyouquaxu 01-26-2012 08:15 PM

Re: How to run speaker wire through the door

i ran it through the rubber gromet/hose the stock wiring went through. took a bit of negotiating and several choice swear words, but i got it. from there, i went down behind the kick panels on either side and then ran under the carpet to the back wall, then up to the amp

STL 01-26-2012 08:23 PM

I used a metal coat hanger. I taped the wire on the end and pulled it through.

Jp7 01-26-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 730163)
I used a metal coat hanger. I taped the wire on the end and pulled it through.

Heh, its actually really easy to remove the grommets from the sheetmetal and push it through with your fingers.

tylork92 01-26-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyouquaxu (Post 730156)
i ran it through the rubber gromet/hose the stock wiring went through. took a bit of negotiating and several choice swear words, but i got it. from there, i went down behind the kick panels on either side and then ran under the carpet to the back wall, then up to the amp

I done the same thing. I managed to get 3 runs of 12awg to each door. Used quite a few choice words

RedLineRanger 01-26-2012 10:21 PM

Small wire threw... zip tie on big wire and pull threw, cut zip tie.. easy as pie.

GLH 01-26-2012 11:44 PM

16 gauge speaker wire is plenty large enough.

1madRanger 01-27-2012 08:35 AM

As a matter of fact... a professional installer as myself still finds the rudimentary metal coat hanger and electrical tape the easiest method for that. Some techniques just stand the test of time.

STL 01-27-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 730202)
Heh, its actually really easy to remove the grommets from the sheetmetal and push it through with your fingers.

I find it easier to do it that way. Sorry if my no talent ways offend the holy one him self.

1madRanger 01-27-2012 11:54 AM

Wow... im holy. Honored. :D

STL 01-27-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1madRanger (Post 730791)
Wow... im holy. Honored. :D

No not you. Almighty one that thinks he is the god of all.

1madRanger 01-27-2012 03:15 PM

Oh... came after my comment... thought you might have been talking about me...

damn... :( buzzkill.

j/k