Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4.0 SOHC / 4.0 OHV Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/)
-   -   Stuck in park (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-0-sohc-4-0-ohv-tech/52406-stuck-park.html)

brad01 01-24-2012 01:29 AM

Stuck in park

I have a 2001 4.0L 2WD. I changed the instrument cluster light bulbs for my gas gauge and tach, and after I reassembled the dash everything seemed fine. However, when I went to drive the truck would not come out of park. I can start it in neutral and shift between gears, but once I go back into park it's stuck. I took the dash apart and inspected my work and couldn't find any self induced problems. So I disconnected the actuator that stops the shift arm from coming out and now I can shift out of park, but I get and ABS light and my cruise control doesn't work. I have to admit I did not check the ABS and cruise before disconnecting the actuator, but I hope they are related. Any ideas?

brad01 01-24-2012 07:05 PM

Re: Stuck in park

Anybody know what the fuse number is for the cruise control?

Rackster 01-24-2012 07:16 PM

Were you experiencing any issues getting the truck in or out of park before you swapped out the cluster? For instance, was is spongey or stiff when putting the vehicle into gear?

Kevin

foxracer025 01-26-2012 09:57 PM

sounds like the brake pedal switch. when i first got my truck it had been sitting for a couple months and that switch was not closing unless you pushed on the brake pedal pretty hard, then it would shift out of park. if you don't want to spend any money just leave it and start it in neutral...why not?

brad01 02-14-2012 07:17 PM

No, I didn't have any issues with it before I changed the cluster. I did fix it though. I had a wire that was pulled out just enough to not make contact, pushed it back in and everything works fine. Also, the fuse that combines the cruise control, park shift interlock and ABS is #9.

Thanks for the help.

TerrenceStuart 02-16-2012 12:32 AM

ok, something is amiss here.
first, you claim your truck is stuck in "park"
second, you then claim you can start the truck in "neutral" (which means it's now out of "Park"
thirdly, you say you can "shift gears" which means it's now "out of park" or you have a manual transmission, that does NOT have a "Park"
Fourth, you say "when you put it back in "Park" it won't go out of "Park" again.
your story is not making ANY sense.

87rangerSummers 02-16-2012 08:19 AM

I think he meant when it's running in park it won't shift out.

TerrenceStuart 02-17-2012 05:05 AM

it's not supposed to shift out of park with the engine NOT running.
his story makes no sense at all

tmoore78 02-17-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machine

LOL. So if it doesn't run, how do people push their vehicle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using FRF App

87rangerSummers 02-17-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machine (Post 764262)

Key on engine off it should shift out when you apply brake.