Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Audio / Video (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/)
-   -   One 12 or two sql setup (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/52403-12-sql-setup.html)

mitch5669 01-23-2012 11:49 PM

One 12 or two sql setup

Hello I'm looking at getting 1 fi q with a sundown 1500 watt amp or two sundown sa12 with a 1200 watt amp. Space is not an issue. What do you think will sound better sq wise both will be sealed in appropriate boxes. In in a downfiring position. Any other suggestions for a sub around 400 at the most will be considered also. T
The main concern I have is there won't be enough room for the two 12 to breath in my extra cab. I was also thinking two sa10's

Thank you for reading

canadiankush 01-24-2012 01:48 AM

Re: One 12 or two sql setup

two will get louder.

ranger101 01-24-2012 06:09 PM

I have 2 SA-15's in my truck. Two 12's will have plenty of room.

mitch5669 01-24-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger101 (Post 726415)
I have 2 SA-15's in my truck. Two 12's will have plenty of room.

OK thank you that was the only thing I wasn't sure about

GLH 01-25-2012 12:52 AM

As far as Sound Quality goes, multiple woofers are no better than 1. You can have excellent SQ with an 8" subwoofer. It's all in the setup. Box style, box size, port style, port size, tuning, placement, EQ, wiring, blah blah blah ...

mitch5669 01-25-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 727020)
As far as Sound Quality goes, multiple woofers are no better than 1. You can have excellent SQ with an 8" subwoofer. It's all in the setup. Box style, box size, port style, port size, tuning, placement, EQ, wiring, blah blah blah ...

I found using win isd that at 1.1 cubic feet per sub it seem to have the flattest response. And thanks to this forum it seem that a down firing positing is best for a sealed application.

tylork92 01-25-2012 12:31 PM

Not gonna get the best results from a SA12 in a sealed box. y not just do 2 SA12s on a sundown 1500?

That was my last setup and it sounded great and got down.

1madRanger 01-25-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLH (Post 727020)

Beat me to it

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch5669 (Post 727028)
I found using win isd that at 1.1 cubic feet per sub it seem to have the flattest response. And thanks to this forum it seem that a down firing positing is best for a sealed application.

Indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylork92 (Post 727377)
Not gonna get the best results from a SA12 in a sealed box. y not just do 2 SA12s on a sundown 1500?

That was my last setup and it sounded great and got down.

Never heard of any of that equipment... but sql doesnt rely on db's as a judging factor like spl... 1,2 or 50 wont make a quality difference if not properly engineered for the specific vehicle. sql is a different animal... and if youre competing judges can be ruthless.

We qot out of sql competitions long time ago. We have a demo solely to show customers what we can do. If you want a full sql comp... prepare to spend a pretty penny.

mitch5669 01-25-2012 08:42 PM

I would go with the 15's but I would like some room back there and I don't really want to spend over 900 on just the subs and one amp.

I don't plan to compete with anything I do get but I do want the ability to get loud cleanly if want to show off a bit. But mostly for day to day listening I still it to sound clean low while still keeping my hearing lol. From what IV heard the sundown sa12 are a good option for me and should sound very good in a sealed box. Please correct me if I heard wrong though

ranger101 01-25-2012 09:21 PM

You heard wrong on the sealed part. Sundown's SA series is a really good line of subs that are WELL underrated. Me personally, I'd run 2 SA-12's in a box tuned to around 32hz and get something like an Audiopipe 1800 if you want to stay on the cheap side.

mitch5669 01-25-2012 10:43 PM

So are you saying you don't think they will do well in a sealed box? IV thought about going ported again but if I did it would be with the fi q as I don't really want 4 cubic feet of sub box back there.
I'm not to concerned with how big the box is but it would be nice to have some room to recline the seats

1madRanger 01-26-2012 08:35 AM

Ok again... I know nothing of the components you speakth of. So im gonna give you a generic setup we've done in the past.

Like I stated... sql isnt loudness... its sound quality. You'd first wanna engineer your cab. Its about where and when sound waves of different frequencies land. Its more than equipment. We've proved at our shop you can get great sql with very few and somewhat inferior equipment. Its all about pointing the soundwaves in the right places.

mitch5669 01-26-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1madRanger (Post 728926)
Ok again... I know nothing of the components you speakth of. So im gonna give you a generic setup we've done in the past.

Like I stated... sql isnt loudness... its sound quality. You'd first wanna engineer your cab. Its about where and when sound waves of different frequencies land. Its more than equipment. We've proved at our shop you can get great sql with very few and somewhat inferior equipment. Its all about pointing the soundwaves in the right places.

For my cab I'm installing rammat sound deadening I have infinity kappa components and a Kenwood exelron deck. I may upgrade the components later on but for now there staying.

I know SQL isn't all about loudness however I want the ability to get loud but i don't want it to sound like crap while doing it,or have a high tunning frequency like you find in a spl setup, should I decide on a ported box instead of sealed.

The subs I am looking at are from this company http://www.sundownaudio.com/

1madRanger 01-26-2012 02:56 PM

New company... they dont seem too bad. I requested info for my shop. Might start carrying them.

madman27 01-26-2012 05:44 PM

The Fi Q is awesome. Can easily handle over 1000wrms. Get the cooling options on it and easily throw 1500-1600wrms at it no problem and it hit real clean. I ran mine sealed with the high qts option. No regrets