Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   new guy needs help with clutch and slave cylinder (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/5157-guy-help-clutch-slave-cylinder.html)

hill576 12-17-2009 01:03 PM

new guy needs help with clutch and slave cylinder

I have a 1991 Ranger XLT extended cab with the 4.0 L V6 engine and I am having an issue with my slave cylinder and clutch. I am trying to do the work myself and have run into a problem. This is the second time slave cylinder has gone out in 1 and a half years. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem. Also, I was looking for some ideas on dropping and repainting the truck when I get it running, but I am unsure of what color I want it. I was looking for ideas of what looks good on that body style. Body is in decent shape with very little rust on body and only a few dents. I really need some suggestions because I am close to just sending the truck to the junkyard if I can't get it fixed.

modelageek 12-17-2009 01:41 PM

how do you know the slave is going is it leaking? what brand did you use. whenver i have to replace a part that is tough to get at I make sure I use a very good one? I did not notice if it was a 4x4

TerrenceStuart 12-17-2009 02:07 PM

welcome to FRF, Jonathan!

whippersnapper02 12-17-2009 02:29 PM

Welcome. Yes the slave cylinders are a problem in Rangers. Mine has gone out a total of 5 times in 4 years. All I can say is make sure you are bleeding i properly.

modelageek 12-17-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 (Post 42063)
Welcome. Yes the slave cylinders are a problem in Rangers. Mine has gone out a total of 5 times in 4 years. All I can say is make sure you are bleeding i properly. YouTube- Ford Ranger & Mazda B-Series Pickup Clutch Hydraulic Release System Bleeding Procedures

Whippersnapper. that is a great video. thx.( I bookmarked it) does this mean that the original poster should wrestle the pushrod out of the clutch ms and remove the whole setup and bleed it like on the video or should he try a gravity bleed again and see if that might work

* whippersnapper what brand/brands have you been using for the slave. 5 in 4 years sucks

whippersnapper02 12-17-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelageek (Post 42070)
Whippersnapper. that is a great video. thx.( I bookmarked it) does this mean that the original poster should wrestle the pushrod out of the clutch ms and remove the whole setup and bleed it like on the video or should he try a gravity bleed again and see if that might work

* whippersnapper what brand/brands have you been using for the slave. 5 in 4 years sucks

I'd start over with everything new but I'm sick of dealing with the issue so the truck is gone this weekend. Each time I have tried to used something other than stock. I believe I used Rhino Pak, Saches and whatever brand Clutch City Online sold me. At first I thought is was my wheeling. I bought a quad and stopped wheeling. Same problem. Then I though it was because I had been using Centerforce Clutches so I bought a stock replacement. Same problem. It didn't even last a year this time. I changed the slave and clutch out for stock replacements in February of this year!!!! A couple of weeks ago I lost the clutch completely. Resivor was bone dry. I bled it but I have to add some fluid every other day now. I don't wheel and I don't launch hard. I drive to work and it still failed. The only thing I have not changed is the pressure line. Maybe that's the problem but who cares now.

Jp7 12-17-2009 03:08 PM

What is the clutch line made of on a ranger? I'm assuming its made from soft rubber. The stock one on my IX was soft rubber but I've upgraded to a stainless braided clutch line- It has a stiffer feel.

whippersnapper02 12-17-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 42083)
What is the clutch line made of on a ranger? I'm assuming its made from soft rubber. The stock one on my IX was soft rubber but I've upgraded to a stainless braided clutch line- It has a stiffer feel.

Stock is a hard line. Not sure what it is though. No one makes any kind of upgrade for it and since it uses quick disconnect fittings I'm sure it would be hard to fab one up.

modelageek 12-17-2009 03:18 PM

JP7 where did you get your stainless braid line?

Fx4wannabe01 12-17-2009 03:19 PM

It's molded hard plastic line....similar to semi-truck airbrake lines. So it doesn't 'squish' like rubber brake lines do....won't expand. There are no replacements available other than a factory style hardline.

I used Raybestos and had the best of luck with them. Not one failed on me(of the 3 I've installed of that brand). One was suspected failure, but it ended up being the master cyl. The others were due to a tranny swap and yet another tranny swap mixed with an engine swap.

Question asked earlier about the master pushrod: if just dealing with slave, no touching of the master is needed, except for filling the reservore. That's only if replacing the master is when you've gotta basically break your old master to get the stock push rod out to carry over to the new master.

Jp7 12-17-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelageek (Post 42092)
JP7 where did you get your stainless braid line?

It's the AMS one, but AMS dosen't make Ranger parts, mostly Mitsu & Subie parts.

modelageek 12-17-2009 03:26 PM

FX4Wannabe what did you use raybestos for line?, clutch?, slave? this is an interesting thread

Fx4wannabe01 12-17-2009 03:28 PM

Raybestos Slave. Motorcraft master when I replaced and it came with a new hardline w/ new fittings, firewall grommet, and reservore w/ rubber line. Basically all new from master to quick coupler.

modelageek 12-17-2009 03:35 PM

I wonder if the OP and whippersnapper problems are from the their old lines that might be leaking or stretching letting air in and the fumbaring the rest of the clutch. wannabe if you respond again please tell me what clutch you use I think the originals are LUK and they are considered pretty good.

whippersnapper02 12-17-2009 03:43 PM

Last I heard Shane was using a Spec clutch. I'm thinking it is the line too but again I'm not dealing with it anymore.