Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   tail light fuse blowing (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/50438-tail-light-fuse-blowing.html)

Willhe3rd 01-02-2012 09:11 AM

tail light fuse blowing

My tail light fuse keeps blowing (the one in the engine compartment). I'm guessing there's a short somewhere but cant seem to track it down. Is this a common problem with an easy fix?

FireRanger 01-02-2012 09:39 AM

If you have a trailer light harness in the back, see if it is corroded.

[Posted with my Android mobile device using Tapatalk Pro]

Willhe3rd 01-02-2012 10:03 AM

Re: tail light fuse blowing

Don't have one but the wiring to one of my fog lights is looking a little rough. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Willhe3rd 01-02-2012 12:35 PM

Tracked it down to the dimmer switch. Turn it to med high or on and it blows the fuse. Anyone else ever have this problem?

----------

Holly crap!!!!! 109 bucks for a new switch. Thinking I'm going to red neck engineer it!

HazardousRanger 01-02-2012 12:39 PM

go get a new switch from the junkyard man

2000ranger302 01-02-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HazardousRanger (Post 693791)
go get a new switch from the junkyard man

x2, I don't think the dimmer switch is easily rigged because of a floating ground system

Doctor Wily 01-02-2012 12:58 PM

I also say you should get one from a salvage yard. shouldn't be very expensive at all.

Regards,
Wily

Willhe3rd 01-02-2012 06:41 PM

The salvage yards out here are somewhat lacking... I'm thinking it may not be the switch, or maybe it is, I don't know. I have it in now and as long as I keep it half way down the fuse doesn't blow. The dash lights however do not work. The idiot lights are on but gauge lights and heater/ac light not so much.

HazardousRanger 01-02-2012 06:42 PM

wtf are the idiot lights?

djfllmn 01-02-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HazardousRanger (Post 694325)
wtf are the idiot lights?

check engine, check guage, charging system...those lol

FireRanger 01-02-2012 07:34 PM

Well it sounds to me like it could be the dimmer switch or it could be a problem in the cluster or stereo backlighting. It's a 50/50 shot. Increasing the dimmer increases the current draw and a problem on the circuit or the switch would manifest itself exactly the same. You might want to try bypassing the dimmer all together and see if it pops the fuse.

Willhe3rd 01-03-2012 08:42 PM

I used a jumper wire to mimic the switch being on high and the fuse blew. Does this tell me its not the switch? Maybe I just jumped it wrong. Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram?

FireRanger 01-04-2012 06:07 AM

If the switch was totally disconnected when you did this, it tells me the problem is in the cluster or stereo backlighting.

Willhe3rd 01-04-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 696885)
If the switch was totally disconnected when you did this, it tells me the problem is in the cluster or stereo backlighting.

The switch was out when I did that. I have an after market stereo (using original harness) I'm pretty sure its all working correctly. I did have the cluster out and when I put it back in it worked fine for a day or so. I pulled it today and there is no obvious sign of bare wires or anything like that. I have a multimeter but am unsure what to test or how. I miss my dash lights!

FireRanger 01-04-2012 07:28 PM

Well, I would start by disconnecting the backlighting wire from the aftermarket stereo and see if the problem goes away. Some aftermarket stereos do not use this wire anyway. If yours does use it, just disconnect it.