Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Northeastern Region (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/northeastern-region/)
-   -   What's md. Law on rear tinted license plates (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/northeastern-region/49975-whats-md-law-rear-tinted-license-plates.html)

MikeLoco 12-27-2011 04:09 PM

What's md. Law on rear tinted license plates

Anyone know maryland's law on tinted license plates . I have a frame on my rear plate and it is tinted somewhat and I want to know the law on it. Thanks

STL 12-27-2011 04:37 PM

Re: What's md. Law on rear tinted license plates

I would guess as long as the numbers and registration stickers are still visible your okay.

Most states say those frames that cover the stickers up are illegal.

FFparker 12-27-2011 04:55 PM

I got pulled over once for mine. The cop was a total D bag so I left it on. Other wise I haven't had any other issues with it..

oldcarfart 12-27-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLoco (Post 686509)
Anyone know maryland's law on tinted license plates . I have a frame on my rear plate and it is tinted somewhat and I want to know the law on it. Thanks

IIRC must be able to be read at 300' while vehicle in operation.

Eagle 12-27-2011 05:53 PM

as long as they can read it, your fine

MikeLoco 12-27-2011 07:47 PM

My stickers show and the lens is a little smoked I see my tag fine, personally, even walked back to the hood of my Moms car behind my truck and could see the numbers

Eagle 12-27-2011 07:54 PM

i have one, since may no problems

FireRanger 12-27-2011 08:07 PM

I didn't find anything dictating specifics on obstruction. Just that it must be displayed. However, there must be something. If it is rendered obstructed, I can assure you that you'll be stopped and cited for it somehow. The tinted thing is PROBABLY ok as long as you can read it from a reasonable distance.

Twin City Ranger 12-28-2011 08:51 AM

Illegal in MD as it is here in MN. Even if it is clear.
Here is a link to MD law. See page 2 of the link for specifics on covers.
http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes.asp?gtr&13-411

Can't even sell them in MD.

MikeLoco 12-28-2011 03:58 PM

i bought mine at autozone, in DE. where i am temporarily staying, since yes, i do originally live in MD. ( trucks tagged in MD.) I may just have to end up taking it off, though i like it a lot, even have a friend who has it on his plate, and he is from MD. i will ask him if he ahs ever been pulled over...

oldcarfart 12-29-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLoco (Post 687765)
i bought mine at autozone, in DE. where i am temporarily staying, since yes, i do originally live in MD. ( trucks tagged in MD.) I may just have to end up taking it off, though i like it a lot, even have a friend who has it on his plate, and he is from MD. i will ask him if he ahs ever been pulled over...

Don't freak, wait until told to remove it. It's easier to apologize than to ask permission.

MikeLoco 12-29-2011 05:11 PM

So, keep it on, and see if i get pulled over, and if i do, just apologize..I mean, i may not get pulled over

Red31 12-29-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLoco (Post 689306)
So, keep it on, and see if i get pulled over, and if i do, just apologize..I mean, i may not get pulled over

As long as you get a nice trooper that gives you a warning and not a ticket or anything lol

ricochet 12-29-2011 10:39 PM

And you or your passengers dont have anything else in the truck or on your person that you wouldn't want the police to find... These covers are sometimes just a reason for the police to stop you if they are curious about anything else...

JHK11020 01-28-2012 01:12 AM

Maryland State Troopers, the biggest dbags you'll find just about anywhere. My buddy got pulled over in his jetta, (not a ranger, unfortunately :P) he got a pretty hefty fine because it was his second time being pulled over for it, but as far as I know there is a certain grade in which you can have it tinted but I'm not sure what it is.