Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   1999 2.5 L spark plugs (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/4883-1999-2-5-spark-plugs.html)

RangerTruck 12-08-2009 03:04 PM

1999 2.5 L spark plugs

Hello all,

I recently took my truck in to get some new spark plugs. They are are functioning, I just wanted some better performance ones. To my huge suprise, my ranger has 8 spark plugs for a 4 cylinder engine. Wow. I went to the garage to ask the guy how to do it myself, and he told me that on my model, it's a pain in the butt. He said some stuff about you have to loosen the exhaust manifold and such. Way more work than I expected.

Anybody have any expierence with this?

STL 12-08-2009 03:05 PM

He is just trying to get you to say "Hear you do it then"

It is not that complicated to do

RangerTruck 12-08-2009 03:38 PM

Hmm, good point. I don't know how handy I am, but I think I'll be able to do it. Thanks for the motivation! Good thing I didn't listen to that guy, it was going to be almost 200 $. Crazy.

modelageek 12-09-2009 07:28 PM

tHE PLUGS ARE EASY ENOUGH. tHE WIRES ARE THE PAIN IN THE ASS. IT IS MUCH EASIER IF YOU HAVE THE MOTORCRAFT WIRES WITH THE SPECIAL HOOKS ON THEM. GET THE BEST PLUGS YOU CAN. I THINK MOTORCRAFT OR AUTOLITE DOUBLE PLATINUM ARE SUGGESTED.

twinjetguy 12-11-2009 01:46 AM

The next set of plugs I am trying are the E3 Diamond Fire plugs. Hopefully swapping the intake side soon.

modelageek 12-11-2009 05:10 AM

I thoughti read somewhere that the E3 are not good for our trucks. Anyone have an opinion

newoldwave 02-12-2013 11:21 AM

Re: 1999 2.5 L spark plugs problems

Help, trying to change plugs on my 1999 2.5 Ranger. Can't pull the plug boots off the plugs. They don't have any hooks like I've heard about. I did pull off one boot and it left the metal connector still on the plug. Seems there is a capture ring on it that grips the plug tower. Had to use pliers to yank the metal connector off. I think I'm destroying the wires just to get the connectors off the old plugs.

Scott586 02-12-2013 11:27 AM

Re: 1999 2.5 L spark plugs problems

Quote:

Originally Posted by newoldwave (Post 1251614)
I think I'm destroying the wires just to get the connectors off the old plugs.

Which is exactly why you want to use plenty of electrolytic grease when you re-install new plugs and wires. Spark plug pliers can help in getting a proper grip on the boot, and turn boot back and forth to break the seal before pulling.

If your plug wires are fresh you can repair a bad end relatively easily, but plugs and wires should last several years and I would just replace them with the plugs.

Re E3 plugs, personally I'd stick with tried and true Motorcraft or Autolights, but if you're willing to take the gamble, go for it. We might learn something new.