Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   What gear ratio would be best for me? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/4841-gear-ratio.html)

mwolverine8 12-07-2009 10:40 AM

What gear ratio would be best for me?

I have stock 15's on my ranger. I hate my gear ratio because it seems like im redlining my engine first gear at like 10 mph. i would like to get to 15 or 20 mph without it revving out. So would a lower gear like a 3.08 help?

And this is also said to increas mph?..

Fx4wannabe01 12-07-2009 10:48 AM

see your other thread....what I said applies to this one too...

what's your current ratio and current tire size?

mwolverine8 12-07-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 (Post 38790)
see your other thread....what I said applies to this one too...

what's your current ratio and current tire size?

3.73 is my current. tires are P215/70R14

14 inch radial tire

Fx4wannabe01 12-07-2009 06:18 PM

With that small of a tire, you can benefit from 3.55's or 3.29's. I wouldn't go so low as 3.08 because you'll miss that nice lower grunt you've got now.

mwolverine8 12-07-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 (Post 38939)
With that small of a tire, you can benefit from 3.55's or 3.29's. I wouldn't go so low as 3.08 because you'll miss that nice lower grunt you've got now.

ok. so i just need to by the ring and pinion, will that work? i wouldnt have to buy a whole different differential right?

STL 12-07-2009 08:05 PM

ring pinion and shim install kit is what you would need

www.yukongear.com

Fx4wannabe01 12-07-2009 09:03 PM

Installing of the ring and pinion isn't a novice job...requires quite a bit of specialty tools and gauges. I entertained doing my own gear swap..til i priced out all the tools needed. Gotta factor in install costs($150 up to $500 per axle depending on where you go).

Overall, I suggest a junkyard axle with 3.55's. ALOT cheaper than swapping gears....plus, you can do it yourself.

mwolverine8 12-07-2009 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 (Post 38980)
Installing of the ring and pinion isn't a novice job...requires quite a bit of specialty tools and gauges. I entertained doing my own gear swap..til i priced out all the tools needed. Gotta factor in install costs($150 up to $500 per axle depending on where you go).

Overall, I suggest a junkyard axle with 3.55's. ALOT cheaper than swapping gears....plus, you can do it yourself.

oh god, i didnt think that i couldnt do it myself... yeah ill try and find an axle at a junkyard i guess. but if i cant find one, then im stuck.

-would keeping my current ratio and switching to larger tires, have the same effect? ehh

Fx4wannabe01 12-07-2009 09:25 PM

Yes. Down a gear size while keeping same tires = up a tire size while keeping same ratio. Same effect on driveability.

btw: it's a little difficult keeping two thread straight! haha. Both are kinda talking on the same topic. haha.

check out (click: )www.car-part.com....it's an online database of a bunch of junkyards nationwide and their inventory. Check out the classifieds here or on other ranger forums. Check craigslist for people parting out their trucks. The ratio's you're after are very plentiful in early to mid 90's models, but are still found in brand new trucks. Check out our gear decoder sticky and print it out when you go look at an axle or truck. And if there's no diff tag, pop the differential cover off, count how many pinion gear teeth, count how many ring gear teeth. Take the ring count and divide by the pinion count and that'll give you gear ratio.

mwolverine8 12-07-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 (Post 38992)
Yes. Down a gear size while keeping same tires = up a tire size while keeping same ratio. Same effect on driveability.

btw: it's a little difficult keeping two thread straight! haha. Both are kinda talking on the same topic. haha.

check out (click: )www.car-part.com....it's an online database of a bunch of junkyards nationwide and their inventory. Check out the classifieds here or on other ranger forums. Check craigslist for people parting out their trucks. The ratio's you're after are very plentiful in early to mid 90's models, but are still found in brand new trucks. Check out our gear decoder sticky and print it out when you go look at an axle or truck. And if there's no diff tag, pop the differential cover off, count how many pinion gear teeth, count how many ring gear teeth. Take the ring count and divide by the pinion count and that'll give you gear ratio.

haha yes i know, i changed my question and then realized i could just do it in the other thread. im new ;P

thanks for all the great info it really helps. i will search for a new axle for a while. if unsuccesful, ill go with the tires.

-and just to make sure, this should in turn act like i'm in a lower gear allowing me to last longer in first gear? And, maybe increase mph a teeny tad?

(as yall have probably figured, im not here for the 4.10 pulling power, i want longer, better speed is what im getting at if that makes sense.)

Fx4wannabe01 12-07-2009 11:19 PM

Here's a quick graph I threw together. Orange lines show shift points. It may be a little exaggerated, but I believe it shows the point better than I can explain it. lol.

In your case:
A = current
B = taller tires or higher gear ratio(numerically lower)

http://i48.tinypic.com/esrn9z.jpg

Your tires currently(215/70R14) measures 25.9" tall. In my opinion, I think it's just about right for a 3.73 rear. But, in your case and for what you want, I'd just bump the tire size up when you need tires. Bump rim size up too to a 15" rim. Craigslist FTW! Stock rims for cheap and sometimes with tires. I'd shoot for the stock newer base model Ranger size of 225/70R15(27.4" tall). I think that'll change your ratio just enough to be perfect for your tastes. Plus, it's like a free 'upgrade' when you need tires! And don't gotta deal with finding the right axle and bolting it in or dealing with actually having someone change the gears.

mwolverine8 12-08-2009 10:09 AM

ahh, indeed. thanks. sorry for all the questions, im pretty clueless about this gearing stuff.

now once i have larger tires, is there a way to calibrate my speedometer. ive read it will uncalibrate it once you put on new tires.

Fx4wannabe01 12-08-2009 02:10 PM

unfortunately, there's no "cheap" way to do that. it won't "uncalibrate" itself, because the tires are larger diameter, they'll throw off a false reading on your cluster. Say your gauge says your going 35mph, but in reality your going 37. BUT...it won't be that far off and Ford's tend to show a little too fast on the cluster anyhow.

You can either a: go to ford and reflash the PCM for the slightly larger tire size(1 hr labor) or c: get a tuner(spendy for just this) or d: deal with it. haha.

mwolverine8 12-09-2009 12:06 PM

will i be able to accelerate quickly still? Or does this just allow me to last longer in first gear?

2001xlt4d 12-09-2009 12:10 PM

do you have 15's, or 14 bc you said both..