Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Audio / Video (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/)
-   -   Ok i need help (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/4738-ok-help.html)

mwolverine8 12-03-2009 02:04 PM

Ok i need help

I am starting to install a nice sound system in my car. Currently I have an aftermarket Pioneer radio with ipod usb support. I want to replace the stock speakers and get a sub. Here are some things i need to know, because i know little to nothing about how this works.

Do i need an amp to power one sub? I just want one subwoofer.

Does the amp power all 4 speakers in the truck or just the sub woofer.

How do i run the wire to the back seat?

I really just need a starting point and a walkthrough cus im not sure what to do but i know how this works. I already have the radio, so what comes next?

All help appreciated.

RangerJustin 12-03-2009 02:12 PM

Need an amp for the sub. Another amp for the speakers. There maybe some that can power both, but that is above my knowledge.

To run wires back there you run them under the carpet and you can either have them come out the hole under the seat or run them all the way to the back. I cut a slit in my carpet for the wires to come through.

Also if you want an easier install, check out the Infinity Basslink, they were going for $150 new on amazon the other day, 10" sub with amp built in. There is a write up for one on here.

jadavis1992 12-04-2009 01:47 PM

you do need an amp for the sub, you don't have to have another amp for the speakers. the radio can run the speakers just fine a separate amp for the speakers is nice but not needed.
i would get better speakers before a sub.

Justin you like the infinity basslink that much?

Tom 12-04-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerJustin (Post 37638)
Also if you want an easier install, check out the Infinity Basslink, they were going for $150 new on amazon the other day, 10" sub with amp built in. There is a write up for one on here.

Not a bad price, the deal is still going on:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000063TJY?...ASV670VE608C3&

RangerJustin 12-04-2009 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadavis1992 (Post 37969)

Justin you like the infinity basslink that much?

Yes I do. Had it in my last truck now it is in my little ricer. I like to feel my music somewhat, but I don't like/need to rattle everything. Can it rattle my car? Yes, easily. Plus I hate wiring, so running just RCAs, power and remote was nice.

mwolverine8 12-04-2009 11:30 PM

Ok here are the specs for my aftermarket pioneer radio. so far the radio has been great. Does anyone know if it will adequately power 4 aftermarket speakers? if so, what kind of speakers do i get?.. i do know i need an amp for the sub.

Audio Features

Built-in Speaker Power: MOSFET 50W x 4
Continuous Power Output: 22W x 4

has two way crossover..

Preout Voltage & Impedance 2.2V, 1k Ohm (idk what that is haha)

Tom 12-05-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwolverine8 (Post 38103)
Ok here are the specs for my aftermarket pioneer radio. so far the radio has been great. Does anyone know if it will adequately power 4 aftermarket speakers? if so, what kind of speakers do i get?.. i do know i need an amp for the sub.

Audio Features

Built-in Speaker Power: MOSFET 50W x 4
Continuous Power Output: 22W x 4

has two way crossover..

Preout Voltage & Impedance 2.2V, 1k Ohm (idk what that is haha)

If you're not intending to amp your speakers then get speakers that have an RMS rating within the range of your headunit. I've heard a lot of good comments about pioneer having excellent budget speakers.

Jay FX4 12-05-2009 07:26 AM

I have the Basslink. It's excellent.

If your head unit puts out 22 watts RMS to all four speakers, that's plenty of power to get good sound.

My head unit provides 20 watts x4, and while I may eventually get an amp, it sounds great - and gets plenty loud, without one.

RangerJustin 12-05-2009 10:42 AM

I went budget on my speakers in my truck, just bought some Pioneer 4-ways, at $35 a pair or so. Wish I would have just gone 3-ways as those would have been just fine and cheaper. They pair nicely with my Pioneer HU, not sure of which model HU I have though...would check by truck is over 100 miles away...

mwolverine8 12-06-2009 10:33 PM

thanks for clearing that up guys. appreciate it.

Ok so i have a average of 22w x 4 speakers. And i read that my maximum power is 50w x 4, so would i be safe with say uhh..25-30 watt speakers, or should i try to go lower?

Tom 12-07-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwolverine8 (Post 38696)
thanks for clearing that up guys. appreciate it.

Ok so i have a average of 22w x 4 speakers. And i read that my maximum power is 50w x 4, so would i be safe with say uhh..25-30 watt speakers, or should i try to go lower?

I would opt for speakers that have an RMS range that encompasses 22 watts.

Jay FX4 12-07-2009 06:23 AM

You can pretty much disregard the maximum power handling of any given speaker. RMS wattage is the important number.

I've seen a lot of debates on various forums about whether it's better to over or under power speakers. In my experience, it doesn't hurt to have more amp power than the speakers can handle, as long as you're not pushing the speakers too hard to the point of damaging them. Besides, if you're going to power the speakers off thee head unit alone, I haven't seen any good speakers that can only handle 22 watts RMS. Most I have looked at are anywhere from 30-60. So you'll be good. Even if you got an amp, you'll be good.

That is a ridiculous price for the Basslink! That is HALF of what I paid for mine, and I think it's worth every penny of the $300 I spent.

Justin and I can both vouch for how good it is. Another thing to keep in mind...
If you were to buy a 10" sub speaker, build or buy an enclosure, and buy a separate external amp for it, you WILL pay more money than you would for the Basslink. And as Justin said, wiring the Basslink is going to be much easier to do. Also, there's no way you can get a 10" sub, properly sized enclosure and amp, and take up as little room as the Basslink does. That was a big selling point for me, since we all know that "Ranger" and "roomy" don't go together in the same sentence.

mwolverine8 12-07-2009 10:14 AM

alright. 30 watts RMS it is

Buddythetruck 12-07-2009 03:03 PM

+1 on the basslink. My buddy has one in his civic, sounds great.