Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Audio / Video (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/)
-   -   DIY sub box and amp situation. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/45516-diy-sub-box-amp-situation.html)

RedLineRanger 10-27-2011 01:54 AM

DIY sub box and amp situation.

So I have a couple questions? One i posted In a diffrent topic and ill post a pic where I think they meant to put my power cable hole. The second is my amp and sub are hooked up and on certain songs my amp will just shut off when the bass hits hard after a bit the amp is shut off than turn back on... what could be the cause of this? Power ground?

Sent from my hacked tapatalk

STL 10-27-2011 01:58 AM

Re: DIY sub box and amp situation.

I think the amp can shut off it it gets to hot.

nicksranger01 10-27-2011 02:46 AM

my amp would do this when i was power two subs with it i had to put a second amp in to not work either amp really hard

02 silver skull 10-27-2011 06:28 AM

My amp used to shut off if it got to hot and couldn't cool down you could add an electric fan onto the amp or upgrade your amp to make sure it can handle ur subs max power.

Blacked Out FX4 10-27-2011 06:59 AM

Possibly add a Capacitor...If its a song where it is bass heavy I could be trying to pull more power than it has readily available.

ranger101 10-27-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacked Out FX4 (Post 602520)
Possibly add a Capacitor...If its a song where it is bass heavy I could be trying to pull more power than it has readily available.

DO NOT add a capacitor. Turn the gain down.

Neo 10-27-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger101 (Post 602608)

X2.

retiredstoner 10-27-2011 08:35 AM

sounds to me like u need a zero guage power and ground...and also a little tip dont pound ur system 2 death for the 1st month or so either give it a proper breaking in period especially if its cold where u live

----------

or u could get u some welding leads and run it from them lol

Blacked Out FX4 10-27-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger101 (Post 602608)

I am not trying to be a douche, but why may i ask?

nicksranger01 10-27-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacked Out FX4 (Post 602674)
I am not trying to be a douche, but why may i ask?

Because they are worthless and dont do any thing

RedLineRanger 10-27-2011 12:00 PM

my sub is max 400 watts the amp is 300 watts and my gain is at 1/3... 0 gauge? lol for 300 watts?

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 602425)
I think the amp can shut off it it gets to hot.

its doesnt matter when it happens.. i can warm it up in 5 min than turn on one song above 23 and it will cut out once in awhile. the amp isnt hot just warm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredstoner (Post 602615)
sounds to me like u need a zero guage power and ground...and also a little tip dont pound ur system 2 death for the 1st month or so either give it a proper breaking in period especially if its cold where u live

----------

or u could get u some welding leads and run it from them lol

the sub has already been broken in. and i dont think i need zero for a 300 watts system.

retiredstoner 10-27-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLineRanger (Post 602879)
my sub is max 400 watts the amp is 300 watts and my gain is at 1/3... 0 gauge? lol for 300 watts?

----------

its doesnt matter when it happens.. i can warm it up in 5 min than turn on one song above 23 and it will cut out once in awhile. the amp isnt hot just warm.

the sub has already been broken in. and i dont think i need zero for a 300 watts system.

it will definately sound better i was messing around 1 day back when i use 2 enjoy not being able 2 breath caue my music was so loud but neways i had 0 guage and i could push a mtx 15 with a little m-80 crankenstein amp and it never shut off..but im tellin ya it will sound better and most likely solve ur problem

retiredstoner 10-27-2011 12:39 PM

also i always stuffed my boxes with i think its call cotton poly fill made them hit harder 2 and ditch the stock wires that come in the box as well n solder on some 14 guage cause usually they have those rinky dink thin ass wires... hope this info helps

RedLineRanger 10-27-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredstoner (Post 602916)
also i always stuffed my boxes with i think its call cotton poly fill made them hit harder 2 and ditch the stock wires that come in the box as well n solder on some 14 guage cause usually they have those rinky dink thin ass wires... hope this info helps

You usually only stuff ported boxes with the poly.. mine is sealed. and nothing came with the box as i made it myself so i put 12 gauge speaker wire in the box and outside of the box.

And that really isnt what i need help with i already knew that, but thanxs.

ranger101 10-27-2011 03:29 PM

I like how everybody skimmed over the solution. Turn the gain down!