Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Interior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/)
-   -   what paint to use on dash (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/4491-paint-dash.html)

big green 11-21-2009 09:23 PM

what paint to use on dash

can anybody recomend a paint i can use to paint my dash and vents, ect...
something that will last and not fade too much.. thanks.

smakes 11-21-2009 09:40 PM

Krylon Fusion, excellent paint made exclusively for plastic. no sanding, no priming needed. just clean the item you want to paint and bomb it to hell!

big green 11-22-2009 12:19 AM

k thanks

Jay FX4 11-22-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smakes (Post 34603)
Krylon Fusion, excellent paint made exclusively for plastic. no sanding, no priming needed. just clean the item you want to paint and bomb it to hell!

+1. I use it. I love it.

blueovelboy 11-22-2009 09:02 AM

i used rustoleum for plastics and it looks good but stinks to hi heavens in there (still)then i use krylon on the to pop out vents and and what a difference and no smell! so listen to them krylon FTW!

Jay FX4 11-22-2009 10:12 AM

I used Fusion on my Tonneau cover, and you could smell the thing from 20 feet away for a week.

Maybe it's because I used 6 cans....

olfordtruck 11-22-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay FX4 (Post 34696)
I used Fusion on my Tonneau cover, and you could smell the thing from 20 feet away for a week.

Maybe it's because I used 6 cans....

You used it on your undercover? I just use mothers Back to Black every now and then... I would figure the paint would chip off that texture on the cap easily.

DisturbedESV 11-22-2009 03:57 PM

I have it on my bed rails.... held up really well for a few months... then I took the rails on/off like 6 times in a 3 month period and now they need to be re-painted....

Jay FX4 11-24-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olfordtruck (Post 34770)
You used it on your undercover? I just use mothers Back to Black every now and then... I would figure the paint would chip off that texture on the cap easily.

I meant to make a thread on this but never got around to it. I bought the truck used, and it already had the cover on it. It was already peeling.
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/P1010748.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...n/P1010749.jpg

I wet sanded it a few times, then put on 3 cans of primer. I know primer isn't necessary with Krylon Fusion, but I just wanted to fill in the imperfections before I painted it.

Primed,painted, 4 cans of clear coat, and this is what I ended up with.
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...R/P1020302.jpg

Using rattle cans is definitely not the ideal way of painting such a large, flat area. But I think it looks pretty damn good. Disregard the light spots on the cover, that's just reflection. I used flat Fusion, but the clear coat gave it a little shine. I'm happy to say that it looks every bit as good now as the day I did it back in August. I'm 100% confident it'll hold up fine, since it's great paint and I used 6 cans, and there's such a thick layer of clear on it that nothing is going to reach the paint. When I wash the truck, I use detailer on it.

smsranger 11-24-2009 09:30 AM

duplicolor is great stufff...used it on my dash...stinks for a lil. but works great

olfordtruck 11-24-2009 10:21 AM

So Jay, it doesnt have that same rough finish anymore that it had stock right? Are you a little more careful with how rough you handle it or what you do to the top since its paintd?

Jay FX4 11-24-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olfordtruck (Post 35217)
So Jay, it doesnt have that same rough finish anymore that it had stock right? Are you a little more careful with how rough you handle it or what you do to the top since its paintd?

No it's pretty smooth now. At first, I was a little tentative with it, but now I don't worry about it at all. I still walk all over it when I'm washing/waxing the roof, and it stays perfect.

I did it in August, so it's been through direct sun an 90 degree heat, freezing cold, and lots of rain. The only thing it hasn't seen yet is snow, but I'm not worried about it. It's had standing rain water on it for days at a time, so I don't see why snow would be any different. I brush all the snow off it in the winter anyways.

olfordtruck 11-24-2009 05:34 PM

Put any clear coat on it? trying to figure out in the future if i should do the same. i put the back to black on it probably once a month. but that gets weird how it creates static and a weird feel on it.

blueovelboy 11-24-2009 05:41 PM

i have seen one here painted and it looked ok i guess but didn't like it to well but thats me! and dude at mikes trucks said he had to repaint it twice due to the sealer on the plastic made the paint bubble? man fibber glass or plastic? this is killing me

Jay FX4 11-25-2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olfordtruck (Post 35288)
Put any clear coat on it? trying to figure out in the future if i should do the same. i put the back to black on it probably once a month. but that gets weird how it creates static and a weird feel on it.

Yes 4 big cans of Dupli-Color clear coat. To be honest, before I did the clear layer, I didn't think it was going to turn out too well. With a huge flat area like a tonneau, it's hard to apply the paint evenly. And that was my first time using Fusion, so it took me a minute to get used to that rotatable nozzle and the spray pattern. For anyone who hasn't used Krylon Fusion, I'd recommend testing it out on something before you start to spray whatever it is you're painting, just to get accustomed to the characteristics of the nozzle.
Anyway, once I applied the clear coat, it really smoothed out the look of the paint and made it even. 2 cans of clear gave me one thick coat over the entire cover. I used 4 cans total, so I got 2 nice coats of clear on top of the 6 cans of Fusion I used.
Took me over a week to complete the project, but it was well worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueovelboy (Post 35292)
i have seen one here painted and it looked ok i guess but didn't like it to well but thats me! and dude at mikes trucks said he had to repaint it twice due to the sealer on the plastic made the paint bubble? man fibber glass or plastic? this is killing me

Undercover covers are neither plastic nor fiberglass. It's a polymer. That's the advantage of Unndercover over fiberglass tonneaus. Ultra strong and ultra lightweight. I was able to take it off/on by myself...2 weeks after back surgery.
I obviously had issues with mine peeling, but I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem. My situation was probably just a fluke, and it was already on the truck when I bought it used, so I don't know the story behind it. But Undercover is definitely the best hard cover out there, IMO.