Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   Thinking about buying this turd... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/43851-thinking-buying-turd.html)

DadsFordGirl 10-03-2011 07:28 PM

Thinking about buying this turd...

A friend from work is selling his 83 f:350. He bought it planning on fixing it up and having it as a daily driver. He fixed it up but now doesn't want to pay for the gas it gulps. He picked up an exploder and doesn't want the truck anymore.

This thing was ROUGH when he bought it. He stored it and worked on it there at the horse barn where we work. It's made nice progress.

Here's a pic shortly after he bought it. All he did to it in the pic was put those gay flags on it and throw some new (used) wheels and tires on it.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a..._4276647_n.jpg

As you can see... LOTS of rust.

Since then, here's what all he's done to it.

Exterior
- cut out and weld all the rust. No bondo, it was done right.
- replaced the chrome trim.
- polished those steel bumpers.
- new paint job. White in the middle and black on top and bottom.
Interior
- new bench seat.
- roll on rhino lined the flooring.
- painted the gauge housing.
- 6 disc CD player with mp3 aux.
- replaced speakers, all were blown.
Mechanical
- new fuel pump.
- new clutch.
- fixed an oil leak somewhere... not sure on specifics.

No pictures of it as of now but will get some soon. But trust me, it looks GOOD.

If I buy it, the only thing I want to do is remove the lift. The reason I want it is so I can haul a horse trailer again. Besides, it's 4WD so could be my back up winter truck. Obviously wouldn't be my daily driver, that's what the Ranger is for.

Kid only wants $2300 for it. Just wants his money back. He bought it for $900 and put roughly $1400 into it.

So I'm kind of thinking about picking this thing up, what are your thoughts? Would I be better off getting something newer that will have fewer potential problems?

Like I said, I just want it so I can haul a horse trailer again and have a 4X4 back up for winter. Will probably be stored at the barn 90% of the time.

2004xlmiller 10-03-2011 07:34 PM

Re: Thinking about buying this turd...

for that cheap and something thats not really a dd but can haul, do it.

SalRanger2 10-03-2011 07:45 PM

sounds like a good deal for the truck, but to me it seems the cost of having 2 vehicles wouldnt be worth it (insurance etc) versus 1 newer fullsize 4x4 pickup.
but just my 2 cents. its a sweet truck for sure tho!

DadsFordGirl 10-03-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalRanger2 (Post 574753)
sounds like a good deal for the truck, but to me it seems the cost of having 2 vehicles wouldnt be worth it (insurance etc) versus 1 newer fullsize 4x4 pickup.

I've definitely considered selling the Ranger for something that can haul... but I really like my Ranger : / lol.
My insurance right now is nothing. Only like $65 a month for liability. I don't bother with full coverage because I know I can't afford it, lol.
Ugh decisions, decisions...

TurdFX4 10-03-2011 07:54 PM

All I saw was "buying turd" and I be all like "bitch i aint fo' sale"

SalRanger2 10-03-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DadsFordGirl (Post 574763)
I've definitely considered selling the Ranger for something that can haul... but I really like my Ranger : / lol.
My insurance right now is nothing. Only like $65 a month for liability. I don't bother with full coverage because I know I can't afford it, lol.
Ugh decisions, decisions...

lol. yea that would be a tough decision, especially since a newer f150 can be expensive ('04+ years). and idk if you would want to get something older than what you have

DadsFordGirl 10-03-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurdFX4 (Post 574769)
All I saw was "buying turd" and I be all like "bitch i aint fo' sale"

Bah! Sorry Turd :p

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalRanger2 (Post 574770)
lol. yea that would be a tough decision, especially since a newer f150 can be expensive ('04+ years). and idk if you would want to get something older than what you have

Yeah I've looked around and can't find any 150's for a decent price unless there's something really wrong with them or they are hella old. I love the late 90's early 00's model but it's impossible to find ones that have been taken care of around here.

SalRanger2 10-03-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DadsFordGirl (Post 574771)
Yeah I've looked around and can't find any 150's for a decent price unless there's something really wrong with them or they are hella old. I love the late 90's early 00's model but it's impossible to find ones that have been taken care of around here.

yea anything really nice is in the $9000+ range. maybe the second truck isnt a bad decision after all lol

matt224 10-03-2011 08:07 PM

What is the mileage on the drivetrain? Is it the 460 or 400? A new clutch and fuel pump isn't really reassuring when buying an almost 20 year old truck, that was more than likely a hard working truck in its prime. Even if mileage is generally low, say 150k, 20 years of existence will still cause issues. Also note that truck probably doesn't make much for power any more, sure back in its day it made a stout 350 tq or so, but time takes it toll. I would pass on this honestly. $2300 is a good chunk of change for 20 year old truck.

richarddhoward 10-03-2011 11:25 PM

I have two trucks on insurance, and a car, all at 450 for 6 months, as long as your record is good you should be fine. The thing I would throw out there, do you really need that big of a truck? I have a Ranger, and Sonoma, and my closest friends can vouch, I have done more hauling, towing, and driving with those two little trucks and gotten better mileage. I didn't need a fullsize till recently, so I never looked at one. That's my 2 cents. Otherwise, DO IT!

Rango88 10-04-2011 12:01 AM

buy it. then sell both the f350 and your ranger and buy a 4x4 ranger

JeremyV 10-04-2011 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rango88 (Post 574962)
buy it. then sell both the f350 and your ranger and buy a 4x4 ranger

x2
If the F350 is as nice as you say you can prob get 3k for it im guessing.. then sell your ranger for a few grand and buy a nice FX4 level II 4.0 5spd:D

Jimmeh 10-04-2011 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalRanger2 (Post 574753)

Actually, most (if not all) major insurance companies offer a multi car discount and it's almost cheaper to insure two older vehicles then one newer one. My insurance is down to $190 a month with full coverage on my full size, liability on my Ranger and a hefty life insurance policy.

I would also pass on this deal. I do want to see pics of it now though!

DadsFordGirl 10-04-2011 05:40 AM

The only problem is that a Ranger can't haul a horse trailer. Well, I bet it could pull one but I don't think it could make it stop.
I definitely don't NEED a 350 but it's pretty cheap. Not sure about how many miles are on it, but I'll check for sure. And also not sure how much hp it's pulling now, but seems strong to me.

Superlifted06FX4 10-04-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt224 (Post 574792)
What is the mileage on the drivetrain? Is it the 460 or 400? A new clutch and fuel pump isn't really reassuring when buying an almost 20 year old truck, that was more than likely a hard working truck in its prime. Even if mileage is generally low, say 150k, 20 years of existence will still cause issues. Also note that truck probably doesn't make much for power any more, sure back in its day it made a stout 350 tq or so, but time takes it toll. I would pass on this honestly. $2300 is a good chunk of change for 20 year old truck.

The 400 ended in 81.