Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Rough idle and double code issues! Please help! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/43333-rough-idle-double-code-issues-please-help.html)

RevMikey 09-26-2011 04:54 PM

Rough idle and double code issues! Please help!

Engine light on and rough running after startup. Got the code po303 and code po316. Mine is a 2004 3.0 with 93000 miles and I found this one site a lot of people are having the same problems. I sure hope what these guys went through is not what I have to do!!! Big $ BTW I did a full tune up and changed the plugs wires etc... including the crankshaft postion sensor (which was the po316 code) still having problems. Here is a post I found on another site hope it helps somebody or perhaps it may be an easier and/or cheaper to resolve this problem. ("If you do some Internet searching you'll find a lot of people have this problem. I have an '04 3L Edge and I often get the double-codes P0316 and [P0300 or P0301 or...P0306]. I've had the engine stall at idle; I get noticeable misses, and it seems like the power is way down from what it used to be. Ford knew about this problem since at least 2005. Wish I knew about it back then. The TSB for it is here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jm...sb05-26-03.pdf

Other Fords and even other Ford engines seem to have the same or similar problem. For example: http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/06-05-13.pdf

The solution is to R&R the heads, which is a huge cost. I'm mad, since TSB 05-26-03 came out in 2005 when my truck was still under warranty, but Ford never gave me any inkling that the heads were defective. Apparently (I learned from Internet searching) the exhaust valve seats erode away and the valves can no longer close correctly.") Thanks in advance for any help!

Christianguy 09-26-2011 05:14 PM

Re: Rough idle and double code issues! Please help!

P0316 .... Engine Misfire Detected on Start-up (first 1000 Revolutions)

A P0303 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #3.

bondojr 10-04-2011 05:57 PM

Mike,
I also have a 2004 ranger Edge w/3.0 at 110,000 miles. Just bought it last year w/about 100,000miles. Shortly after purchase, I started getting the cylinder misfire codes, multi cylinder misfire code & misfire v1000 revs. I then noticed a plug wires had been changed & previous owner claimed No Knowledge of MIL codes. The codes will not reset/clear for more than 10 miles. Runs fine on open road but in city traffic or sitting idle it will begin to misfire & ck eng light flashes (wanting to stall from stops) Rev eng to 1500 rpm helps eliminate the misfiring. I've heard of the TSB for this problem & that it is a manuf head alignment problem from the build. I'm lookin for money for another engine!

If you find a reliable answer/fix, I'd be interested too!

RevMikey 10-04-2011 07:08 PM

Thanks for the replies. Got an update... Problems were getting worse on the truck daily and was fearing for the worse after the TSB that I read and was even doing shopping for a new engine! My thinking was what would be the point on my engine with 93000 miles on it and rebuilding the top end and keeping the bottom? I mean before long I'd have to tear into the dang thing one day to redo the bottom so might as well get a new one. Anyways while moping around work my boss suggested a GOOD mechanic who he said was FAIR AND HONEST! Sometimes very hard to find both in one! Anyways, took it over and told me it was prob only the coil pack had gone out. And that could cause a lot of wierd things to happen when they go bad. Sure enough! Finally my truck is back to normal!!! Replaced it with a motorcraft coil pack cleared the codes, engine lights off, normal starts and idles and passed inspection all for 219.00 out the door! :) Thank God for that! Not sure if this would be an answer to everyones problem but if was definitely my problem! I hope this helps!
BTW, Ford told me they would have done the head job, water pump and timing chain for the low price of 5000.00 to fix my problem!! I found new engines online for 2000 w/ a 3yr unlimited mile warranty with free shipping!!! Instead I spent less than 220.00!! :)

bondojr 10-17-2011 05:51 PM

Mike,

I tried your fix with a new coil pack and also replaced the plugs & wires. It didn't completely work for me. The truck doesn't start spittin / sputterin misfiring after warming up now but I'm still getting 304 & 316 codes!
Thanks for the idea tho. I may be able to sneak it thru inspection for another year.

CajunDan 06-02-2012 12:10 AM

Mine was doing the same thing. 2 out of 3 cats were plugged and the 3rd was blown out. New exhaust with a tune up and problem solved.

gcextreme 06-03-2012 07:31 AM

Hey guys, hope u find a solution.
Its like beating a dead horse, but try the following:
Check for vac leaks.
Clean MAF.
Clean PCV.
Clean EGR.
Clean Throttle Body.
Replace Fuel Filter.
Use SeaFoam.

As for your talk about passing inspection, I'm confused, what inspection? I have had my truck for like over 7 years, never had any inspection.

RagerTom 06-03-2012 07:58 AM

Some states like NY and PA have vehicle inspections to verify safety, emissions, and other things varying on each state that has it. Here in IN we only have "inspections" on the emissions.

oldcrowalki 06-03-2012 08:16 AM

RagerTom---is the emissions for the Chicago area or something? I'm in Indianapolis and we have no inspections for anything. Is the state code IN (for Indiana) you listed the correct one?

gcextreme 06-03-2012 08:54 AM

Hmm crazy.
I live in Minnesota, no such inspections. Unless you get pulled over by the cops, like for really smoking exhaust or really loud exhaust.

If every one and every vehicle has to get inspected every few years, that's insane. How can a state afford the budget to inspect all those vehicles. It would be like inspecting every ones shoes to see if they are tied.

I can see for emissions and pollution issues, but for safety? That's ridiculous.
That's like inspecting a motorcycle, "sorry this bike isn't safe" , "no shit its a motorcycle".
There have got to be tons of vehicles out there that are driven on a daily basis that aren't safe. Like driving a 38 ford with no airbags and no new safety features, etc.
I mean compare a brand new car with all its safety features to a car from 20 years ago, hell some people wouldn't dare put their family in the old car cuz its not "safe".
But for some reason, whenever I see a car accident on the road, it always appears to be newer cars involved, while all the older unsafe cars just keep driving by.

Ever heard of the "helmet theory"?
Its the theory that by putting on a helmet, u feel more safe and tend to do more reckless things because u think u are safe. U push the limits a bit further than what u would if u did t have a helmet.
Its like skateboarding or bicycling, u put the helmet on and u do more stuff, faster, and harder stuff, and you're like "im wearing a helmet, im safe".

I do the same thing on my motorcycle. When I don't wear my helmet, I am way more cautious, I don't go as fast, take sharp quick turns, etc. The wind in my face makes a difference. I put my helmet on, no wind in my face, I tend to drive faster and take crazier turns.
Just my 2 cents lol

bondojr 06-04-2012 07:32 PM

GCEXTREME - NY has mandatory safety inspections every year on every vehicle you have registered to drive on the roadway. All Lights, brakes, horn, wipers, turn signals must work and NO Emission / MIL (Check Engine) lights can be on.

As for my misfire problem - I finally broke down and bought a set of heads & gasket kit on-line. That and 14 hours later fixed the misfire problem for me completely!

gcextreme 06-04-2012 08:46 PM

How much was the kit? Where'd u get it from?
I may need to invest in a kit for my other ranger i am working on.

Glad it fixed your problem.

And mandatory inspections every year for every vehicle u have registered, that freaking insane.
I could maybe see like every 3 years, but every damn year, what a waste of time and money.

nmagana 06-05-2012 08:29 AM

So here is my problem; our truck seems to shut off for no apparent reason when the temperature outside gets over 100 degrees. I know it sounds insane, but we just hit our "summer season" here and everytime I turn on the car anywhere between noon to 7pm it idles high, shakes a whole lot and then eventually turns itself off. We keep getting codes 335 & 336 so we changed the MAF sensor. That seemed to work for about a week. We changed out the ICM, that worked for another week. We replaced the fuel relay switch that worked for two days. We've checked for vaccum leaks, nothing. My father-in-law replaced the entire fuel system, nothing. I have no clue where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

gcextreme 06-05-2012 10:04 AM

Sounds like a thermostat issue to me maybe. If it only does it over 100degrees.
Im assuming that's outside temp, and not just engine temp.

bondojr 06-07-2012 07:01 PM

I got my heads, gaskets & bolts (complete kit) from

Dover Cylinder Head Inc
2539 Sullivan Road
College Park (Atlanta), GA 30337
website at: DoverUSA.com
404.768.1825 or 800.541.1767

It cost me like $350 and I see they advertise/sell over Ebay as well. The GREAT thing about them is No Core Charge & Heads Not be returned!