Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Thinking about getting a Ranger (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/4313-thinking-getting-ranger.html)

agox 11-15-2009 01:35 PM

Thinking about getting a Ranger

So I've been a ricer for a while, but I'm starting to think I've outgrown my MAZDASPEED days. I've been considering getting a light truck for a while, but I'm really picky. I think I finally found the one.

It's a 2000 Ranger XLT Supercab. 3.0 V6, 4wd. That sorta bluish, purplish color. 160,000 miles on the chassis, 76K on the engine and clutch. The owner says it needs new leaf springs. It's going for $4,500.

So I'm left wondering: how is the Ranger as far as owning one goes? Is it the maintenance diva my Mazdaspeed Protege was? Is it just a fun little truck to chuck around? What should I look for when I look at this truck? How competent is it as a daily driver? As an off-roader (I wouldn't mind doing some of that)? How is the community? (The Mazdaspeed community is actually really good around Atlanta.)

As far as off-roading goes, how do I find trails?

STL 11-15-2009 01:48 PM

Welcome

In all honesty wait and find one with a 4.0 the 3.0 us underpowered

The ranger 5 speeds are known for the slave cylinder going out

Click Here will show places you can go off roading

mb128 11-15-2009 01:56 PM

i agree with stl look for a 4.0 it will have alot better power then the 3.0 trust me i have a 3.0 and wish i would of found a 4.0

agox 11-15-2009 02:18 PM

Thank you both.

I think I'll give it a try on the ol' butt dyno, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 4.0.

STL 11-15-2009 03:04 PM

Get a 4 cyl ranger and test drive it then test drive a 3.0 you will notice the same amount of power

mb128 11-15-2009 09:31 PM

i didnt no a 4 cyl ranger and a 3.0 are equal! hmm thats good to know

Ranger_EDGE 11-15-2009 09:42 PM

my 3.0 and my buddys 2.5 we raced and he kept up with me lmao i barley beat his ass lmao. but do you want a ricer sound or a v6 sound. do you really plan on racing a ranger though? a 4.0 does has balls but will you use that. its up to you and your driving habits. 4 cylinders great on gas v6 not to good. But either way its way better then a ricer :)

DisturbedESV 11-15-2009 09:54 PM

I loved my 3.0 until I bought my 4.0 and now I'll never go back... the truck has its quirks like any vehicle but as long as you do regular maintenance I don't see why you should have any problems... I've had 2 Rangers... one I owned from 70K-140K and did alternator, fuel pump, and tires. The one I have now I've had from 0-33K and the only issue I've had are brakes (new style pads they use) and alternator (which might have been my fault...). Hope that helps... and Welcome!

chuckpo 11-16-2009 12:01 AM

Welcome, I agree that finding a 4.0 V6 would be best. If you were into rice some power in your Ranger is a MUST! I love the power at take-off with the 4.10 rear end. If you want to go off road maybe finding a FX4 (off road) would be a good idea too!

Jay FX4 11-16-2009 06:14 AM

I'm going to go against the grain here.

First, you're not going to hear any argument from me when everyone says the 4.0 drastically outperforms the 3.0. It's true.

But, I would not automatically rule out a truck with the 3.0. It all depends on what you're going to be doing with it. If you plan on towing regularly, then yes, you'd want the 4.0. I you want a lift and 33" or larger tires, you'd want the 4.0.

But for daily driving, the 3.0 is fine. With stock tires/gears, the 3.0 would be fine for light wheeling, too.

It is a bit underpowered, no doubt. And you're not going to win any races with it, but racing a Ranger pickup with either V6 is just silly anyway.

The 3.0 is a very reliable engine. Some could argue that you're less likely to have issues with it than the 4.0 SOHC.

To be honest, when I was Ranger shopping, I had my mind made up that I wanted the 4.0 - simply because I wanted the most well equipped Ranger available. But with my driving style and what I use my truck for, it really wouldn't have mattered which V6 I got.

Again, I'm not arguing with anyones reasoning for why the 4.0 is better, just pointing out that the 3.0 isn't by any means a garbage engine.

oldfordisbetter 11-16-2009 06:43 AM

my truck is nice but also its kinda small...

ralphy 11-16-2009 07:34 AM

Welcome to FRF, a friend of mine had a v6 4x4, I don't know what size engine, but he worked it hard in the oil fields it hauled more than I would have thought. he broke the frame and welded it back and kept going. I myself have a 2wd 2.5 and when it goes down i'll build a hot 4cyl. or drop a v8 in it. "the only substitue for cubic inches is more cubic inches!"

scooby stew 11-16-2009 01:50 PM

welcome from the uk

mb128 11-16-2009 10:38 PM

i like my 3.0 it pulls hard of the starts my step dad though it was a 4.0 but its a 3.0 not the fastest truck but it gets the job done people say they are underpower i bag to differ

TerrenceStuart 11-17-2009 01:59 AM

welcome to FRF, Chris!