Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   1994 Ranger dies when shifting out of park! Help! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/42578-1994-ranger-dies-shifting-park-help.html)

TechMech911 09-15-2011 06:32 PM

1994 Ranger dies when shifting out of park! Help!

Hello, I recently purchased a 1994 4cyl Ford Ranger Extended Cab. It has an automatic transmission and the car/body/motor only have less than 80,000 miles on them.

The only problem is, it dies when you shift out of park/neutral. I am baffled as to what the problem is and I can't find any posts with similar issues.

Also, if it is the whole transmission is shot, would a transmission out of a 1999 Ranger work?

I appreciate any help and thank you all in advance!

sheltonfilms 09-15-2011 07:31 PM

Re: 1994 Ranger dies when shifting out of park! Help!

This is just a hunch, but it could be your neutral safety switch (the switch that tells your computer what gear you have selected (PRND21). The switch signals the PCM so that it knows that its in gear. When in an active gear (R D 2 1) the PCM will change the air/fuel ratio and change idle speed to account for the load being introduced to the engine.

What part of TN do you reside?

TechMech911 09-15-2011 11:39 PM

Any way of testing that to see if its the problem?

I reside from Knoxville.

sheltonfilms 09-16-2011 11:05 AM

What part of knoxville do you live? I can probably come out and take a look at it.

brinker88 09-16-2011 11:29 AM

Check to see if you have a vacuum diaphram on the transmission. that could be your problem.

modelageek 09-17-2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechMech911 (Post 553675)
Hello, I recently purchased a 1994 4cyl Ford Ranger Extended Cab. It has an automatic transmission and the car/body/motor only have less than 80,000 miles on them.

The only problem is, it dies when you shift out of park/neutral. I am baffled as to what the problem is and I can't find any posts with similar issues.

Also, if it is the whole transmission is shot, would a transmission out of a 1999 Ranger work?

I appreciate any help and thank you all in advance!

-i doubt it is your transmision and no the tranny from a 99 would not fit your 94

-Does the truck idle fine and feel like it has any power at all?

-do you have any codes?

-did this just start happening?

-do you know the maintenance history? is the air intake clear? ever cleaned the IACV?

-I thought the NSS was more for just unlocking the shifter(yours is unlocking). I guess it could have a short?

killj0y 09-18-2011 09:06 PM

How is the idle in park? Do you shit and immediate death? Or give it gas then death?

Doctor Wily 09-21-2011 07:17 PM

I was under the impression that the NSS would allow the vehicle to start in gear selections other than park/neutral or cause it to not start in park/neutral. I had a Dakota that had a bad NSS and I could start it in drive, reverse, manual low, etc.

sheltonfilms 09-21-2011 07:39 PM

The NSS enables or disables the starter relay. (only can start in park/neutral) BUT it also sends a signal to the PCM.