Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Engine pinging/rattling on acceleration (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/42057-engine-pinging-rattling-acceleration.html)

SGL1 09-08-2011 08:57 AM

Engine pinging/rattling on acceleration

Sounds like valve/lifter rattle. Not very loud but I can still hear it. More so under hard acceleration. When I had it at Christian Brothers awhile back they wanted to do an injector cleaning but I passed. I've cleaned MAF sensor and the oil is fairly fresh. (recent change) New fuel & air cleaner filter.

I have new plugs just haven't done tune up yet. Any ideas?

Cdy291 09-08-2011 09:01 AM

Re: Engine pinging/rattling on acceleration

Does it only do it when its hot outside?

SGL1 09-08-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cdy291 (Post 545829)
Does it only do it when its hot outside?

Well it IS Houston so it's always hot. But this week it's calmed down a bit temp wise but I believe it does it whenever I put the hammer down.
At first thought it might have just been bad gas but I've been running Shell unleaded for the most part and still hear it.

imonfireagain94 09-12-2011 05:58 PM

Its spark knock, (preignition). All 3.0s ive ever rode in or driven seems to do it. Run some seafoam through the brake booster, just follow the directions on the bottle. I ran the same kind of thing that seafoam is that my school offers called Run-Rite and it has stopped doing it since.

FireRanger 09-12-2011 06:17 PM

My 4.0 does the same thing. Haven't found a way to make it go away (including seafoam). Doesn't bother me enough to dig deeper.

SGL1 09-13-2011 07:04 AM

Yeah I plan to try the Seafoam angle and also going to change plugs and wires and oil. Switch to Synthetic. Thanks.

Cdy291 09-13-2011 08:39 AM

I switched to synthetic for the first time the last oil change and I have had trouble with oil pressure. I wonder if the oil pump pickup screen got clogged with some goop that was turned loose by the synthetic oil.

jerseyranger 09-15-2011 01:19 PM

do these 3 things and i guarantee your Engine pinging/rattling will
go away..
seafoam it,switch to 10w-30 oil and replace your coilpack.

FireRanger 09-15-2011 01:20 PM

Maybe that worked for you. I've done all that and its been pinging for years.

Sholt25 09-15-2011 01:49 PM

My truck started the pinging about a month ago, I switched the truck to synthentic oil about 8k miles ago but I don't think that was the cause. So two weeks ago I put a bottle of seafoam in it and filled it up with E85, knock went away completely, so next time I filled up I went back to gas, and so far I haven't heard any pinging.;)

FireRanger 09-15-2011 01:56 PM

Well I doubt the E85 had anything to do with it. I'd be curious to see if it comes back once all the E85 actually out of the system. The "octane rating" of E85 is quite high and can mask the problem. Once you're back to completely 87, it may come back.

jerseyranger 09-15-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 553362)
Maybe that worked for you. I've done all that and its been pinging for years.

it worked for me as well as countless others..

FireRanger 09-15-2011 05:49 PM

I don't doubt it did. There are legit problems that seafoam can fix which you, I, and many others have seen. But there are also issues unrelated that simply dumping seafoam and oil in it won't help. I don't know what it is.

cacher 09-15-2011 05:56 PM

Predetonation?

FireRanger 09-15-2011 06:34 PM

Ya, thats what pinging is. We know that. The question is why.