Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Parking brake won't release, help I can't get to work! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/41880-parking-brake-wont-release-help-cant.html)

Jaypar 09-06-2011 06:55 AM

Parking brake won't release, help I can't get to work!

I have a 2001 Ford Edge with a manual transmission. I use the parking brake every time I park and leave the transmission in neutral. I've done this for all of my vehicles and for this ranger for the past 2 years.

I live in Louisiana and we got a lot of rain this weekend. The truck has been parked in the front yard since Friday. I woke up this morning to head to work and I released the parking brake and I couldn't go anywhere.

The parking brake pedal comes all the way up but I still cannot move. You can hear the brake preventing me from going in reverse. I need to get to work as I was supposed to be there an hour ago! I need help. What do I do?

JeremyV 09-06-2011 06:58 AM

Re: Parking brake won't release, help I can't get to work!

Maybe crawl under and try to release it by hand?? idk what else would work... :/

Jaypar 09-06-2011 07:04 AM

well after doing more research one person said to just release the brake and try to move and force it. said this makes the parking brake unfreeze. just tried it and it worked so i can get to work thankfully but how do i prevent this from happening again??

BTJONESY 09-06-2011 07:09 AM

Mine as done this too, it finally came un stuck by just rocking the truck back and forth, but from what i hear the only way to fix it would be to take the drum apart and give it a good cleaning

OhioMike 09-06-2011 07:16 AM

I had an automatic 4 wheel drive 2004 Ranger that had bad brakes. I went to back out of my garage about 5 years ago, and I thought that I had something wrong with my transmission because the vehicle wouldn't move. As it turned out, my brakes were locked up. I mention this because I never used the parking brake (A.K.A. emergency brake). Anyway, I had to call for a tow, and the guy pulled me out. A buddie at the time replaced my brakes shortly after, and they were shot. The back brakes that locked up were like sandpaper. There was a known issue at the time for quality problems, but no remedy but replacement. The vehicle had just under 30,000 miles. Never had a problem after that. Not sure of this applies to you or not, but maybe you have to replace the cable since it could be wearing out.

Edit: +1 on BTJONESY's post. If memory serves, that is pretty much what happened to me. The drums wore unevenly or something. I was mad because the vehicle was a lease, and I needed a full brake job. My buddy did the front, and I told him to wait on the back since I didn't want to spend the money. Then, I realized how bad they were, and I had no choice. Either way, a brake job at 30,000 miles is ridiculous for someone that drives mainly highway miles. My 2008 only had pads and rotors done at 43,000, and now at 53,000, I still haven't replaced the drums (they were cleaned off, but are still OEM).

webster426 09-06-2011 09:23 AM

This is valuable info! Its like going to school everytime I read a post! Thanks for the detailed infor to all who posted....

matt224 09-06-2011 10:19 AM

Dont set the brake as much next time. I've also had mine freeze over the weekend, rocking the truck broke it free. Don't push the brake to the floor, and leave it in gear. You barely have to set your parking brake if you leave your truck in first or reverse; it isn't going any where

traacer 09-06-2011 12:36 PM

I'm the same...always put the truck in neutral (manual) and use the parking brake. The only thing I do to keep the cable from freezing up on me is about every 3 - 6 months I'll spray everything that moves with some wd-40 or pb to make sure it stays free. Have yet to have the brakes freeze up on mine.