Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Interior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/)
-   -   PATS Key Programming Question (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/41740-pats-key-programming-question.html)

maxxb77 09-04-2011 01:22 PM

PATS Key Programming Question

Hey all,

I wanted to see if anyone could confirm my suspicions on this. I ordered a PATS key off of ebay and had it cut today. When trying to program it will never 'copy' the code over to the new key. Here are my questions:

Do you need the two original keys which came with the truck?

My dad had one of the keys cut and the code copied at a big-box store. If the sales-associate only copied the code instead of generating a new one for the PATS module, do I need to bring a blank-key to the dealership and have them program the code as a 'new' key?

I'm concerned about this since I'll be putting in a remote start next weekend (keep an eye-out for the how-to!) and if the PATS is reading the two already-working keys as the same I won't be able to program the bypass module successfully.

Best,
MB

2003fordranger1 09-04-2011 01:47 PM

Re: PATS Key Programming Question

yes. you need the 2 original keys to program another key. ford told me that you can program up to 8 keys

STL 09-04-2011 01:49 PM

Someone said before if you only have 1 key walmart can program a 2nd key for you.

maxxb77 09-04-2011 02:03 PM

Thanks guys, what if I wanted to program a bypass module (XpressKit PKFM)? I figure it works the same way as the additional key programming procedure- you insert a key, take it out, insert another, take it out and then it programs. But could it be that the key walmart made for my dad was copied using the same code as the original key and thus PATS is seeing these two as the same key?

maxxb77 09-05-2011 07:37 AM

(STL - Since I've read some of your posts which displayed your disdain for wal-mart, you might like this)

My problem has been solved - it turns out that most of the big-box stores (ahem, wal-mart) which can do the key-programming cheaply are actually only creating 'clone-keys.' My suspicions were true in that they are copying the exact same code which was in your original key supplied to them. This is a problem for you if:

1) You lose keys often and have to fork out 50$ for each new one
2) You want to program a remote start's bypass module that doesn't require a key
3) You like getting things done right the first time and make things much easier for yourself in the future.

If you fit into any of these three categories, avoid wal-mart key duplication services. I, as much as anyone else, appreciate good deals and will buy essentials from wal-mart. In this case however, it is better to go to a locksmith. In my area the locksmith charged only $50 to program a blank key or $70 for programming, cutting, and a new key. For the exact same price I can get the same services rendered to me from a more reliable source. Now in the future I'll be able to program as many keys (up to 8!) as I want without having to shell out any large sums of cash.

I hope this helps anyone who has or will go down the same path as I have over the past few days.

Best,
MB

STL 09-05-2011 07:54 AM

Ah so they are just cloning the key not actually programming a key. So essentially you still would only have 1 key in the end

FireRanger 09-05-2011 07:57 AM

If walmart is indeed "cloning", that will make it impossible for you to program your own keys. Remember, to program your own, you need two unique PATS keys that already work. If you have two clones, then the truck just sees the same key, not two.

Now with that said, if you only have one key to begin with, cloning it at Walmart is a lot cheaper paying the dealer to make you new "real" ones.

webster426 09-05-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 542378)
Now with that said, if you only have one key to begin with, cloning it at Walmart is a lot cheaper paying the dealer to make you new "real" ones.

I paid $125 for my second key at a stealership than bought 2 PATS keys on ebay for $20. I dont think it is as bad as everyone makes it sound because you are essentially getting FOR programmed keys for $145, or $36.25 a piece.......just my .02!

FireRanger 09-05-2011 08:33 AM

I guess it depends on how many keys you want.

maxxb77 09-05-2011 08:35 AM

Well I paid 70$ for my second unique key through a local locksmith... now I can program new keys (two for 16$ on ebay)