Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Interior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/)
-   -   Guide to interior painting! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/4141-guide-interior-painting.html)

02BlueRanger 11-08-2009 09:03 PM

Guide to interior painting!

Alright, thought I’d do a helpful write up on interior painting since there’s allot of questions about it. So far, I know that KRYLON FUSION spray paints work and require no sanding, or prep aside from cleaning the dash. I have also heard that Duplicolor works, but I haven’t tested it personally. Alright what you'll need to paint your interior if you DONT WANT TO REMOVE YOUR DASH! 1) LOTS AND LOTS of Newspaper 2) Automotive painters tape, I found that normal painters tape doesn’t stick well to the plastic. 3) 5-6 Cans of spray paint, I used 5 of black and then 3 of blue because I did a 2 tone style. 4) A fan, and well ventilated area 5) TIME!

First up, I did my doors seeing as they can be taken off. Remove the 3 screws from the front driver’s side and passenger side doors, and for the back 2 doors (if you have a XLT) you will need to use a T55 torx socket to take off the seatbelts to get the doors free. Now, tape off the Vinyl part of the door, because I’m not sure how well spray would work on that, if you want to do those, buy fabric and use adhesion promoter, and some sort of fabric. Clean the doors thoroughly and if you want to 2 tone the doors, obviously tape off the area you want a different color. REMEMBER IF YOUR 2 TONING, IT WILL TAKE LONGER BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE BASE TO DRY COMPLETELY TO TAPE IT OFF! Now, spray your first coat on the doors without going to heavy!!To be safe, I waited till each coat dried before I started the next coat, this will pay off in the long run!

Now, while you’re waiting for your doors to dry, or once you want to start your dash, cover your entire floor with newspaper, or tarp, even cover your seats! Spray paint can and will be in the air (duh) and can get on things you don’t want! (Duh) so be sure to mask off everything! Also, news paper off the windshield, tape around the edges of it, and then more news paper! You don’t want to buy a new windshield so take your time! Now, prepare to be frustrated while taping off the dash, there’s more little things you don’t think about then you think, so be ready to take awhile to tape off everything!, wrap the steering wheel in newspaper, and then tape off the spedo cluster, radio cluster etc. Now, you can take out the vents (good idea) and then fill the holes with news paper to keep paint out. I did 4 coats I believe on my dash, 3 in one day, then waited overnight to do the final, be cautious and go over the dash carefully! Take your time, you don’t want to find out you missed something after all the paper is out!

Lastly, put the doors back on once there dry, and leave all the doors open, and turn your fan on high, it will take a few days for your car to air out so be ready. Also! Wait to clean your dash for a weekish! Make sure it’s completely dry! If your dash feels a bit rough after it dries, not to worry, the same thing happened to mine, and once you clean it, it will smooth out I’m guessing it’s just paint spray that got up a bit.

Well that about it! Ive had mine painted for 4 months and love it!! You can check out the results on car domain here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3359764 and comment and rate my ride if you want. Thanks guys, hope this article helps!! Ask questions if you need anything!

Tork 03-11-2011 09:50 PM

Re: Guide to interior painting!

Looks pretty sick man! Good job.

RLong31 03-12-2011 06:52 AM

I can't see any pics?

Naturally Aspirated 03-12-2011 09:08 AM

Yea, link is dead. But then again this thread has been dead since '09...

ERS100 04-03-2011 07:43 PM

thanks man, i plan to paint my dash and door panels soon, i already have trim painted, so i will just remove it again!

tybo2340 04-03-2011 08:42 PM

I saw in that link under "future lights" a pair of halo lights, those are bada$$! Where are you getting them from?

02BlueRanger 04-04-2011 12:17 AM

Thanks man i was gonna get those off ebay a couple guys on here have them just holding off during the school year till i get some cash. But i might sell the truck anyway so well see!