Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   Removal of Door Chime? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/40400-removal-door-chime.html)

ImTJ 08-16-2011 09:43 PM

Removal of Door Chime?

Is this possible to remove, it is a pain sometimes.

klinger86 08-16-2011 09:49 PM

Re: Removal of Door Chime?

I found the speaker on mine and pulled the cone out of it. After I did I killed the battery twice and locked my keys in twice. So I would say leave it. But if u really want it gone youll have to hunt it down and remove it the way I did.

ImTJ 08-16-2011 10:14 PM

If i were to find the speaker, do you think i could "muffle" it some how. Maybe wrap something around it to quiet it a little?

riverrunnernky 08-21-2011 07:13 PM

Napalm it!

Seriously, does anyone know it's location?

Surely it is a plug and play item, Ford is good for those plug and plays.

Really, while replacing the radio or something to do with the interior and a door open and key switch on, it would be way cool to remove the chime for the duration of the project.

My 220 volt nerves have a 1.5 amp fuse... :eek:

RedRanger2001 08-21-2011 07:17 PM

I wouldn't mind pulling mine.... The bottom clasp of my rear door doesn't close properly and causes the chime to go off everytime a right hand corner... It drives me insane because the door does not open far enough to cause me to fall out... Trust me, I tried. Hahahahaha. Hairpin turn at 60 mph! lol

riverrunnernky 08-22-2011 05:21 AM

Wow, you can relate!

Bump for links to solving this, reasonably.

Napalming is not a reasonable solution. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRanger2001 (Post 526728)
I wouldn't mind pulling mine.... The bottom clasp of my rear door doesn't close properly and causes the chime to go off everytime a right hand corner... It drives me insane because the door does not open far enough to cause me to fall out... Trust me, I tried. Hahahahaha. Hairpin turn at 60 mph! lol

pooleo 08-22-2011 05:54 AM

Behind the radio is a black box on the left side. remove this. Open it. look inside until you find what looks like a stack of black quarters. About 3. break it open. remove guts. no more dinger. This will not stop the 5 sets of 5 beeps associated with the air bag system. :p

riverrunnernky 08-23-2011 07:35 AM

Gee, Pooleo... I don't want to kill the thing, but thanks so much, I'll find a way to temp disable it of leave it alone.

The chime is a great warning device, that I must have.

AAA knows me too well!

rwenzing 08-23-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverrunnernky (Post 528138)
Gee, Pooleo... I don't want to kill the thing, but thanks so much, I'll find a way to temp disable it of leave it alone.

The chime is a great warning device, that I must have.

AAA knows me too well!

94 and earlier Ranger doesn't have a GEM Module beside the radio. Instead, there is a standalone Warning Chime Module that you can simply unplug. Look for a small box with a 7-wire plug below the ashtray.

OhioMike 08-23-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Really, while replacing the radio or something to do with the interior and a door open and key switch on, it would be way cool to remove the chime for the duration of the project.
The engineers hook things up on purpose to avoid deactivating and potential lawsuits. My old 97' fuse went out on the airbag which prevented the radio from working.

erasmussen 08-23-2011 02:16 PM

I have a '98 b4000 and with the stereo removed from the dash happened to find the door chime within a black box located in the cavity behind the stereo (as mentioned earlier - on the left hand side).

I desoldered mine... and no more annoying chime.

We had begun to call it the Bull Sh!t detector - funny how it would go off in the middle of a conversation:D

RedRanger2001 08-23-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erasmussen (Post 528424)
I have a '98 b4000 and with the stereo removed from the dash happened to find the door chime within a black box located in the cavity behind the stereo (as mentioned earlier - on the left hand side).

I desoldered mine... and no more annoying chime.

We had begun to call it the Bull Sh!t detector - funny how it would go off in the middle of a conversation:D

Hahahahaha. I like that :D

riverrunnernky 08-24-2011 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwenzing (Post 528146)
94 and earlier Ranger doesn't have a GEM Module beside the radio. Instead, there is a standalone Warning Chime Module that you can simply unplug. Look for a small box with a 7-wire plug below the ashtray.

Alright!, thanks Bob, I'm on this one. ;)