Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Can’t turn traction control all the way off on 2011? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/40250-traction-control-2011-a.html)

Pool Runner 08-14-2011 11:54 PM

Can’t turn traction control all the way off on 2011?

Ok so I've been playing with the traction control on my lowly four cylinder Ranger. I’ve got a 2011 with the little traction control button below the Radio & A/C controls on the dash. The other day I found a vacant parking lot with standing water and thought I would see if my Automatic could "break em lose" so to speak.

I first tried leaving the traction control on. As expected wheel spun for a second and traction control took over and settled the truck down. Then I turned the traction control off and re-tried. Truck definitely spun longer, but after a few seconds the traction control light on the dash started to flash and the spinning stopped. In other words I couldn't just lay into it and leave a broodie.

Is it possible to completely turn the traction control all the way off? or does the button on the dash only partially disable it. I’ve never tried a brake stand simply because I don't want to stress the truck that much and I flat out don't think it will do it anyway.

Rango88 08-15-2011 04:24 AM

Re: Can’t turn traction control all the way off on 2011?

just pull the fuse out of the fusebox. a member here did that and it worked, which fuse it is, i am not entirely sure, perhaps he will chime in

Drexl 08-15-2011 10:51 AM

when you hit the button it turns traction control off but leaves the stability control on... Push and hold the trac control button... light will come on.. keep holding it... light will turn off.. keep holding it... then light will come back on again... let go

Now your traction control and vehicle stability control are ALL off... BUT when you go over 30mph the stability control will turn back on again.

SalRanger2 08-15-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 519666)
when you hit the button it turns traction control off but leaves the stability control on... Push and hold the trac control button... light will come on.. keep holding it... light will turn off.. keep holding it... then light will come back on again... let go

Now your traction control and vehicle stability control are ALL off... BUT when you go over 30mph the stability control will turn back on again.

ive been wondering about the stability control, does it suck offroading?

Drexl 08-15-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalRanger2 (Post 519668)
ive been wondering about the stability control, does it suck offroading?

It's awesome in the winter.. hell half the time I don't even turn the 4x4 on... BUT.. When you wanna fuck around off road it definitely sucks because as soon as that speedo gets over 30mph, she kicks back in.

S13minus1 08-15-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rango88 (Post 519495)
just pull the fuse out of the fusebox. a member here did that and it worked, which fuse it is, i am not entirely sure, perhaps he will chime in

me! pull the main underhood 40a abs fuse. problem solved. and remember, that 30mph is rear wheel speed, not actual vehicle speed.

SalRanger2 08-15-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S13minus1 (Post 520389)
me! pull the main underhood 40a abs fuse. problem solved. and remember, that 30mph is rear wheel speed, not actual vehicle speed.

any problems with pulling the fuse?

S13minus1 08-15-2011 08:30 PM

you have to find somewhere to put it. and then it throws a code, but ive always unplugged the battery by the end of the day. plug it back in and drive a mile or so and no dash lights!

SalRanger2 08-15-2011 08:41 PM

did they start doing the stability control in 08 or when?

FordDude1991 08-15-2011 10:25 PM

i hate it, my right foot is my SC, and TC

Rango88 08-15-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalRanger2 (Post 520480)
did they start doing the stability control in 08 or when?

2010 i think

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordDude1991 (Post 520571)
i hate it, my right foot is my SC, and TC

I like it in the winter.

FordDude1991 08-15-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rango88 (Post 520578)
2010 i think

----------

I like it in the winter.

Thats why i have 4x4 lol

Rango88 08-15-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordDude1991 (Post 520594)
Thats why i have 4x4 lol

lol and tsc is the reason I dont have 4x4 :p

wintermute 08-16-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S13minus1
…pull the main underhood 40a abs fuse…

Just remember that the TC/SC and ABS systems are integrated and pulling this fuse to kill your TC/SC will also kill your ABS

dennisd 08-16-2011 07:18 AM

Can someone explain/give an example of a time traction control is bad off road.

I don't off road my Ranger and my 4X4 Ram doesn't have traction control (none of my former 4X4s had traction control either). I always thought having power to both rear wheels was a good thing. I always make sure to get anti spin rears in my 4X4s. You have to understand, I don't go off road just to play. I worked on a cattle ranch during my high school years and I got more than my fill of being stuck while haying cows in the winter. To me, getting stuck is work not fun.

Out of curiosity, while in the Ranger, I spun the tires in some gravel going around a left turn and a right turn. In both instances, both tires spun instead of one because of traction control. I can see where you might loose some power because of the brake being applied to the spinning wheel but a spinning wheel isn't going to get you anywhere anyway. IMO, traction control makes the rear behave like it was anti-spin. Why would you want to turn that off???