Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Belt has the worst squealing noise (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/39921-belt-worst-squealing-noise.html)

Thewho 08-10-2011 05:53 PM

Belt has the worst squealing noise

Firstly i have a 3.0L 1999 4x4 XLT Ranger with AC.

The other day i replaced the alternator, and everything went fine with that. Except about a day later the pulley system started to squeal, loudly and constantly. It squeals when idling and traveling at constant speeds. The only time it does not squeal is when I'm accelerating.

So i checked the alternator, and the noise is not coming from it. Since then, i've replaced both the Idler and Tension pulleys, and it's still squealing like a banshee. I guess the next logical step is to replace the belt, but after that I have no idea were to go. :confused:

webster426 08-10-2011 07:56 PM

Re: Belt has the worst squealing noise

Sounds to me like you do not have enough tension on that bad boy.....most common reason belts squeal. Not familiar with the belt routing, but maybe you bought a bad tensioner.....

Thewho 08-11-2011 03:40 PM

Just thought i'd update. I replaced the old serpentine belt with a new goodyear gator-back belt and the problem is solved. Not a squeak. Lesson learned, don't overlook the obvious!

JGiddy 08-11-2011 04:01 PM

i was just about to say get a g-back lol.

was that the original belt on it? :eek:

Knoobe 08-12-2011 07:44 AM

I ran into the same trouble soon after i bought my truck. I replaced the idler pulley, power steering pump and pulley as well as a new dayco belt with no change.... the dayco belt actually made it worse. At the time the "new" remanned alternator from Autozone was 3 months old. I read a lot of forums and such on the issue which led me to replace the belt with a gatorback. Solved the problem for about a week. When the squeak came back I decided to negate any other options from the table and replaced the automatic tensioner. Problem has never returned in 6 months. Thing is the old tensioner did not flop around at idle or under acceleration, but when i compared the old to new it had a really weak spring. Maybe my trial and error will help someone save some money down the road replacing "guess" parts.

Thewho 08-13-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGiddy (Post 516147)
i was just about to say get a g-back lol.

was that the original belt on it? :eek:

Yes, but the truck only has 65k for mileage. Not bad for a 99'

Fightinirish157 08-13-2011 10:56 AM

Where are gatorbacks sold? I have not been able to find any near me. Or maybe I am asking or looking in the wrong place.