Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   2000 Ford Ranger Belt Squeaking Issue? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/398-2000-ford-ranger-belt-squeaking-issue.html)

Moto 12-22-2008 04:37 PM

2000 Ford Ranger Belt Squeaking Issue?

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0L V6 Engine 79,000 miles on it. Something in the serpentine belt area is squeaking. The belt is relatively new with only around 10,000 miles on it. The other two belts lasted around 35,000 a piece before needing to be changed. The squeaking noise will sometimes go away when the belt finally warms up, other times it will not. Do you think it could be the idler pulley or the belt tensioner? Thanks!

Tillie H 12-22-2008 04:37 PM

you can check both the idler pulley and the belt tensioner by removing the belt...and handling the pulley's...they should not have any "play" in them..or be loose like falling apart, they should be tight so to speak but yet turn, sometimes the bearings can wear in these parts causing it to squeak until it heats up..eventually if it is one of them it will just fall apart on you and throw/eat up your belt so its best to check. If it throws...you could jump time...careful!

They have sprays for a squeaky belt but i dont like to use them...If you check the pulleys and they are ok, could just need to tighten the tensioner..it should be on a slide..try tightening that if you find nothing wrong with either pulley. To tighten the belt..loosen the bolt on the slide of the tensioner pulley..use a pry bar to get it pretty tight...hardly any play in the belt...while holding in place when you get it where you want it..tighten the bolt on the slide.
hope it helps

baldie 12-22-2008 04:58 PM

it could be the idler pulley. it has a bearing and maybe it,s what making the noise. do like i did on my car. take the belt off and spray around where the bearing is at. it helped mine.

unksly 12-22-2008 04:59 PM

Tighten up on the belts! If the tensioner is adjustable then it must be tightened!

"BRILLIANT"!!!!

FordRanger00 01-17-2010 01:42 PM

So I also have a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 L V6 that I recently bought as my first truck, now that I've had it a little while now i'm starting to hear the squeak. The first time a shot of belt dressing took care of it for about a month. Now it's come back and after replacing the belt earlier today the squeak has gotten worse making me think that is a pulley bearing. I only drove for a few miles today, and the noise got worse as i speed up. While I am not sure which bearing it might be, I was wondering how expensive is it to have replaced typically and is it something I can do myself?

Thanks!

hibbersnip 06-07-2010 02:16 AM

Re: 2000 Ford Ranger Belt Squeaking Issue?

I had the same problem with a squeaky belt after moving from Southern California to Tennessee. The problem is with the standard belts. They have cotton fibers that retain moisture in wetter climates. My mechanic suggested a Gator Back belt. That took care of the squeaking for the most part. It rarely squeaks now and only for a second.

modelageek 06-07-2010 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordRanger00 (Post 53822)
So I also have a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 L V6 that I recently bought as my first truck, now that I've had it a little while now i'm starting to hear the squeak. The first time a shot of belt dressing took care of it for about a month. Now it's come back and after replacing the belt earlier today the squeak has gotten worse making me think that is a pulley bearing. I only drove for a few miles today, and the noise got worse as i speed up. While I am not sure which bearing it might be, I was wondering how expensive is it to have replaced typically and is it something I can do myself?

Thanks!

+1 on the gatorback. you could pull the belt off and run the engine to make sure the squeak is from the belt( it probably is). get a stethoscope for $10 and listen to the individual parts. I have not heard good things about the belt dressing it just meeses up the pullys. I also have seen people that clean the pullys and that helps the squeak

ajfelt 01-11-2011 03:02 AM

I recently bought a 99' 2WD ext cab ranger with the 3.0. I encountered the squeaky belt soon after buying it. Here is what I did to fix it:

1: replaced belt with a Duralast belt from autozone. (Still squeaking)

2: Spray the new belt with belt dressing. (Quit squeaking for a few minutes then the squeak became worse than before spraying belt dressing)

3: Removed the belt cleaned the belt with mineral spirits and then washed with soap and water. Cleaned pulleys with mineral spririts and a brush, then rinsed them with accetone. reinstalled Duralast belt. (still squeaking)

4: Replaced idler and tensioner pulleys. Reinstalled Duralast belt (They needed replaced anyway but still squeaking)

5: cleaned pulleys with a die grinder and a wire wheel. Reinstalled Duralast belt (still squeaking)

6: Replaced the Duralast belt with a Dayco belt from Autozone. (Have driven approximately 400miles no squeak so far)

modelageek 01-11-2011 06:21 AM

Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20 Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20 Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. Next time buy a goodyear Gatorback belt for $20. "Nuff said"

terryduanemiller 01-11-2011 09:53 AM

squeaking or chirping?.... long squeaks? or chirp chirp chirp chirp?
the markings on a belt can cause chirping...
http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f...ntine_belt.jpg

you can scuff them off with red scotch brite, found at most automotive stores
http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/g...001/3m7447.jpg

jcam8 03-12-2011 08:47 PM

gates brand tensioner worked wonders for me. aside from some morning squeaking on higher moisture days, i haven't had a problem with it since.

mickblock 03-12-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryduanemiller (Post 292760)
you can scuff them off with red scotch brite, found at most automotive stores

That's good info there pal! Ima remember that next belt change. Scuff then dress.

ricko999 10-27-2011 06:58 AM

I've got a squeaker now also!
2000 Ranger 3.0 v6
Belt was worn so....
Installed new belt, upper pulley and tensioner pulley.

The squeaking started after installing the new stuff, and now chirps at idle and squeaks constantly at 1500rpm and above. Any ideas?

THX,
RO

kjmead 10-27-2011 08:48 AM

I could not figure mine out, went through 3 belts and my mechanic said replace the belt tensioner. Thought mine was good since it was only 3 or 4 years since I replaced it. I Put a new one on and it worked great, you can really tell the difference in the tension when you install the new one. I bought a doorman brand from www.rockauto.com because it was the cheapest.

ricko999 10-31-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricko999 (Post 602516)
I've got a squeaker now also!
2000 Ranger 3.0 v6
Belt was worn so....
Installed new belt, upper pulley and tensioner pulley.

The squeaking started after installing the new stuff, and now chirps at idle and squeaks constantly at 1500rpm and above. Any ideas?

THX,
RO

Found out the tensioner internal spring was broken, so tensioner was down on the full tight stop. Replaced and squeaks gone.