Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Suspension Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/)
-   -   New Rancho 9000's and still having a rough ride.... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/39381-rancho-9000s-rough-ride.html)

webster426 08-03-2011 07:42 PM

New Rancho 9000's and still having a rough ride....

As the post states, I just installed my new Rancho 9000's and have the gas settings adjusted to their appropriate comfort levels. However, the truck still does not respond well to road bumps AT ALL! I know it is a truck, but I have a 2010 Honda Civic that drives way smoother than the Ranger, and it only has KYB's in there.

My truck has new tires as well FWIW.....but the bumps are ridiculous! I seriously cannot go over a speed bump any faster than 1 mph or it will feel like I hit a pothole doing 60mph. OK, maybe I am exaggerating a little, but my wife is pregnant and she feels like the baby is gonna pop out when she drives in it. I am by no means a suspension guru so, I do not want to buy something that will not fix the problem....

stabilizer bar?
control arm?
ball joint?
tie rod?
rack and pinion?

Like I said, I do not know about suspension so I may be way off here....money is not an issue, I would like to be able to drive the thing without constant turbulance :p

RideontheEdge 08-03-2011 10:38 PM

Re: New Rancho 9000's and still having a rough ride....

First of all, and i'm really not trying to be an a-hole, but it IS a truck. :p Haha. I've hit my head on my roof hitting a speed-bump too fast. Second, I put new shocks on my Ranger over a year ago because my stock ones were mushy and leaking oil and the first drive i took i thought i did something wrong because my ride had stiffened up, only to find out that's how its supposed to be. So i honestly don't know of a way to soften your ride. By the way, most of the things you mentioned go in the front of a vehicle if i'm not mistaken... I'm sure someone with more know-how will chime in soon anyway. I say just let your wife drive the Civic in the meantime.

Edit: My bad, i thought you were only talking about the rear. Haha.

sullys_ranger 08-04-2011 07:14 AM

its the torsion bars man, they ride like ass.

Fightinirish157 08-04-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sullys_ranger (Post 507884)
its the torsion bars man, they ride like ass.

Unless his is a 4x4 he doesn't have the torsion bars...

tmoore78 08-04-2011 08:35 AM

hows the tire pressure. i bought a '90 ranger and it rode like a go-cart. checked the pressure and all were 40psi+. dropped them down to 32psi and put on new shocks and it rode like a dream (for a '90)

sullys_ranger 08-04-2011 08:50 AM

if money isnt an issue then get some coilovers, make it ride like a champ

SB03Ranger 08-04-2011 09:17 AM

yea man. no offense not trying to sound like an ass but its a Ranger not a caddy. jus what it is. mine rides like a piece of shit, i have rancheros on it to but it still does. but i love my truck and a few rough bumps not gona kill me. not a whole lot gona make these trucks ride extreamly well unless you fork up some cash. thre jus small lil humm-a-long- go anywere trucks lol. BTW how much did those run you, im lookn at those for my next set

webster426 08-04-2011 09:51 AM

I bought the rancho 9000's for like $340 from rockauto.com and got a $100 manufacturer rebate. They are no longer selling them, but you can buy them anywhere any still get the manfacturer rebate from Rancho.

I am not some school girl complaining about my suspension BTW =) I have operated multiple trucks, mainly all Ford, and I know my Ranger is riding rougher than it should. I was hoping there was something else in the suspension that could be replaced (besides struts) to give her a smoother ride =)

Twin City Ranger 08-04-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webster426 (Post 507974)
I bought the rancho 9000's for like $340 from rockauto.com and got a $100 manufacturer rebate. They are no longer selling them, but you can buy them anywhere any still get the manfacturer rebate from Rancho.

I am not some school girl complaining about my suspension BTW =) I have operated multiple trucks, mainly all Ford, and I know my Ranger is riding rougher than it should. I was hoping there was something else in the suspension that could be replaced (besides struts) to give her a smoother ride =)

I'm still convinced my '96 road a hell of a lot better than the '03 I recently bought and put new tires and shocks on. Feels like the tires aren't staying planted on the road at times.
Learning to live with it.

MadMike 08-04-2011 10:58 AM

It all comes down to the basics 1-it's a ranger it has short wheel base witch = rough ride. 2-it's a very lite truck witch = rough ride. 3-if it has torsion bars that also = rough ride. And 4-it probably has the stock tires witch are small in diameter that also = rough ride so all in all you don't buy a ranger for the ride but the only way to make it ride smother would be to swap it to coil

FL Zipper 08-04-2011 11:18 AM

In my own thread aSKING THE SAME QUESTION IT WAS SUGGESTED THAT REMOVING THE SWAY BAR WOULD CALM THINGS DOWN. sINCE MY TRUCK IS ON ROAD, SECOND VEHICLE USE THAT MIGHT WORK - STILL DECIDING WHETHER TO TRY IT...

(oops sorry, caps lock stuck without noticing..)

SB03Ranger 08-04-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webster426 (Post 507974)

Yea I understand I will say my truck rode a ton better after putting on the new shocks over stock. But it still nothing great. Idk I think older rangers ride better than new imo.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

MadMike 08-04-2011 03:07 PM

I put rs5000 rancho's in with keys and took out the sway bar the rs5000 is 11/2" longer than stock and the swaybar made a big difference if your second guessing taking it out the only advice I can give is if you drive your ranger like a race car leave it in but if you drive it like a truck take it out.Also if you like to go offroad it'll make a big difference cause you'll have true independent suspension hope that helped. Cheers

webster426 08-05-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twin City Ranger (Post 508015)
I'm still convinced my '96 road a hell of a lot better than the '03 I recently bought and put new tires and shocks on. Feels like the tires aren't staying planted on the road at times.
Learning to live with it.

OK thanks guys.....I just bought new tires a month ago so the tires are good. They are one size bigger than stock (cant remember the specs off the top of my head).

I might try removing the sway bar, but I am a little skeptical because it is there for a reason. I dont drive it like a race car, but still....

I also feel like my tires dont stay well planted on the road. Ill take some pictures of some parts later that are definately worn, but not sure if the really need to be replaced. Thats kinda why I started this thread cause I thought something was just jacked up.....

As always....I greatly appreciate all of the help and insight you all provide :adore:

sgtsandman 08-07-2011 03:24 PM

You never did answer the psi question. What are your tires at pressure wise?