Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Air conditioning cuts out (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/39369-air-conditioning-cuts.html)

SPind 08-03-2011 05:55 PM

Air conditioning cuts out

I have found many threads about A/C issues but have not found this issue described previously. On my 2010 4.0 awd with approx 16000km the A/C exhibits the following:
- towing for approx 1/2 hr (not consistent)
- A/C on entire drive (max or normal)
- mainly highway driving
- any fan-speed

Air flow stops/very low. The fan can be heard but there is no airflow from vents, floor, defogger.

Shutting of truck for a few minutes resets and A/C runs normally.

As this is not easily replicated I doubt the dealer will be much help.

Has anyone experienced this or have a starting point for me to be able to replicate for dealer?

Thanks in advance

SomeGuy 08-03-2011 06:04 PM

Re: Air conditioning cuts out

no idea, i know when the motors are under a heavy load they cut out ac to give the engine all the power, but i dought that will help you.

SPind 08-03-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeGuy (Post 507472)
no idea, i know when the motors are under a heavy load they cut out ac to give the engine all the power, but i dought that will help you.

I think it may be something along these lines. I plan to follow up with the dealer and will share results.

SomeGuy 08-03-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPind (Post 507476)
I think it may be something along these lines. I plan to follow up with the dealer and will share results.

Please do, I'm curious. I don't have to worry about this because my ac never worked lol

TheStig 08-03-2011 08:20 PM

could be freezing up from the cold air....i've seen it happen
thin frost build up on blower stops air flow....shut it off for a few min, it thaws....then youre back in action

Drexl 08-03-2011 10:06 PM

dude who cares? WARRANTY! Let the dealer figure it out!

SPind 08-04-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStig (Post 507642)
could be freezing up from the cold air....i've seen it happen
thin frost build up on blower stops air flow....shut it off for a few min, it thaws....then youre back in action

Thanks for the info. This makes sense to me. When I park for 5 min there is a lot of water from the condenser.

SPind 08-13-2011 05:03 PM

Found a thread on the equinox forum where the problem was traced to the system freezing up. Still haven't made it to the dealer yet but as the humidity is gone the issue has not represented itself.

austinranger85 11-09-2011 10:14 PM

YES!!! I have experienced this too before while making long road trips! I have never given it much thought, I just turn the ac on and off a few times and it comes back on.