Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   Adding tilt & cruise (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/39096-adding-tilt-cruise.html)

SGL1 07-31-2011 05:45 PM

Adding tilt & cruise

I found a web page where I believe someone installed the steering wheel with tilt/cruise from a 1998 Explorer to their Ranger. I don't recall the year model Ranger (I believe 2000) but wanted to get some opinions on that. I don't have it but sometime down the line would really like to add if possible.

Any thoughts. I think the biggest issue would be finding the steering wheel with tilt/cruise at a junk yard. I'd spend upwards $2-300 on this but beyond that I could live without it.

Riq21 10-02-2011 05:59 AM

Re: Adding tilt & cruise

Just about to do this mod on my 2002 single cab. Pulled a tilt out of a 1999 exp. (they are very easy to locate in any junk yard). From all that I can tell, this is not all that involved of a swap if you have been into your dask and control panel before. I will probably do it Monday and give some feedback into any issues experienced.

rwenzing 10-02-2011 06:17 AM

Be sure that the front wheels of the donor and donee are straight ahead when removing the column assemblies. Then lock the steering wheel in position by removing the key to prevent the steering wheel from turning relative to the column while doing the swap.

This is critical because it maintains the clockspring (spool of electrical ribbon) in the correctly "timed" position to allow full steering wheel rotation in both directions. If it is out of position, the CS will chafe in one direction or break in the other and all wheel functions would be lost.

If there is a chance that the CS timing has changed or if uncertain where it was when removed, it is possible to retime the CS after removing the steering wheel from the column. The timing instructions are sometimes printed on the CS case or you could consult a shop manual for directions.

Beware of columns from junkyard donors with front end damage because the clockspring may already be damaged.

SGL1 10-03-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwenzing (Post 572811)
Be sure that the front wheels of the donor and donee are straight ahead when removing the column assemblies. Then lock the steering wheel in position by removing the key to prevent the steering wheel from turning relative to the column while doing the swap.

This is critical because it maintains the clockspring (spool of electrical ribbon) in the correctly "timed" position to allow full steering wheel rotation in both directions. If it is out of position, the CS will chafe in one direction or break in the other and all wheel functions would be lost.

If there is a chance that the CS timing has changed or if uncertain where it was when removed, it is possible to retime the CS after removing the steering wheel from the column. The timing instructions are sometimes printed on the CS case or you could consult a shop manual for directions.

Beware of columns from junkyard donors with front end damage because the clockspring may already be damaged.

Thats good to know thanks!