Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hey from Gurnee, IL (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/38855-hey-gurnee-il.html)

pacmanj4 07-28-2011 05:28 PM

Hey from Gurnee, IL

Hey everybody whats up??? I have had rangers before, but sold them. Now I just bought one today and had to join this forum. I bought a 1997 with 56000 miles. Wimpy 4 cylinder motor but thats what I like.

This may not belong here but I am going to ask anyways to get things going. I am assuming its the belt but give me your opinion. After I start it it makes a screaching sound for about 3 seconds. Belt doesn't show any cracks. Sounds like the belts slipping possibly, but I don't know what else it could be.

This might help, when I sprayed it with water to get it wet and then started it, it didn't make the screaching sound. Whats your opinions???

Besides that the car runs like a champ and was a steal for $1700 (talked him down from his firm price of $2400 :biggrin: ).

Thanks in advance!

TerrenceStuart 07-28-2011 05:39 PM

Re: Hey from Gurnee, IL

welcome to FRF, Johnny!

StealthRanger 07-28-2011 06:14 PM

Welcome to FRF!

I know when my truck started making a "screeching" sound, I did basically the two easiest and cheapest things first, because I could not pinpoint where the sound was coming from. I replaced the "belt tensioner assembly" and the belt, and luckily it totally fixed my problem. There is several different things it could easily be. I would try taking your serpentine belt off and wiggle all the pulleys in you belt system side to side/up and down, and see if you have any play. If you do, that is probabely where at least some of the noise is coming from. If they are all tight, I would still replace your tensioner assembly for starters, because even if the pulley is good, the spring could still be weak, causing your belt to slip.

Like I said, that is just a guess in the dark, but hopefully it will help a bit. If that does not fix your problem, I would try posting your question in the "Engine Tech" section of this forum and hopefully someone with more experiance can help you out!

2004 fx4 level II 07-28-2011 07:34 PM

welcome to FRF!! check your harmonic balancer

Neo 07-28-2011 09:39 PM

Welcome to FRF!!!! and stealth said everything I was gonna say. Lol

Clinton 07-28-2011 09:41 PM

Welcome

STL 07-29-2011 01:42 AM

Welcome to FRF

pacmanj4 07-29-2011 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthRanger (Post 500721)
Welcome to FRF!

I know when my truck started making a "screeching" sound, I did basically the two easiest and cheapest things first, because I could not pinpoint where the sound was coming from. I replaced the "belt tensioner assembly" and the belt, and luckily it totally fixed my problem. There is several different things it could easily be. I would try taking your serpentine belt off and wiggle all the pulleys in you belt system side to side/up and down, and see if you have any play. If you do, that is probabely where at least some of the noise is coming from. If they are all tight, I would still replace your tensioner assembly for starters, because even if the pulley is good, the spring could still be weak, causing your belt to slip.

Like I said, that is just a guess in the dark, but hopefully it will help a bit. If that does not fix your problem, I would try posting your question in the "Engine Tech" section of this forum and hopefully someone with more experiance can help you out!

Well said, exactly what I was thinking of doing. And maybe the idler pulley too cause it does have some play and looks miscolored. Thanks

StealthRanger 07-29-2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacmanj4 (Post 501102)
Well said, exactly what I was thinking of doing. And maybe the idler pulley too cause it does have some play and looks miscolored. Thanks

No problem man! Yep, if the idler pulley has play, I would definately replace it as well. Hopefully those things will totally fix your problem. Keep us updated! ;)

pacmanj4 07-29-2011 05:10 PM

Well I am happy today besides my stereo fiascal. Anyways I replaced the idler pulley and belt and it worked. No more noise :D. Thanks for the help

Christianguy 07-29-2011 05:12 PM

Welcome!