Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Sports (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/sports/)
-   -   Braves vs Pirates close call...you be the judge (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/sports/38735-braves-vs-pirates-close-call-judge.html)

dixie_boysles 07-27-2011 10:21 AM

Braves vs Pirates close call...you be the judge

This was a 19 inning baseball game (yes NINETEEN innings). runners on second and third, bottom of the 19th inning; tied 3-3; 2 outs. If the braves score, they win.

Batter hits a grounder to third, runner advances and "looks" like he is tagged out at home which would have cause the game to go another inning. Ump calls him safe.

From the camera behind the catcher and runner, it clearly looks like the runner is out. but at the 1:28 mark, it seems as though the glove misses the runners leg.

you be the judge

DangerRanger2000 07-27-2011 10:34 AM

Re: Braves vs Pirates close call...you be the judge

Im for the braves but it definitely looked like the tip of the glove got his leg, im voting out. Yep i just watched it again, at the end of the video you can he his pants leg ripple when the glove goes over it, hes out. Tough call tho.

doyouquaxu 07-27-2011 10:38 AM

the runner is out. and doesn't the runner touch the catcher himself, thus making him out also?

dixie_boysles 07-27-2011 10:40 AM

poll added

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by doyouquaxu (Post 499062)
the runner is out. and doesn't the runner touch the catcher himself, thus making him out also?

no, the runner has to be tagged. just holding the ball does not make the whole players body "hot". The glove holding the ball or a hand holding the ball has to touch the runner

Fightinirish157 07-27-2011 10:43 AM

I grew up and still am a Braves fan and he was out...

HazardousRanger 07-27-2011 10:47 AM

definitely out lol epic fail

doyouquaxu 07-27-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixie_boysles (Post 499063)
no, the runner has to be tagged. just holding the ball does not make the whole players body "hot". The glove holding the ball or a hand holding the ball has to touch the runner

been awhile since i played. but it still seems to me like the glove tagged the runner's right leg on the shin

pooleo 07-27-2011 11:09 AM

I voted out, but upon further looking of the vid, it looks like the glove was just a cnut hair above the pants. Its hard to tell from that angle. The emprier was there and had the best veiw. He may have been safe :confused:

Pwrranger 07-27-2011 11:42 AM

looks safe to me.... at the very end it looks like the glove completly misses him....

i like how the batter falls right away...

Tom 07-27-2011 12:25 PM

Close call indeed. Hard to tell, need slow mo & better quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerRanger2000 (Post 499060)
Im for the braves but it definitely looked like the tip of the glove got his leg, im voting out. Yep i just watched it again, at the end of the video you can he his pants leg ripple when the glove goes over it, hes out. Tough call tho.

The pants rippling could have been caused by them hitting the ground or the sudden stop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwrranger (Post 499129)
i like how the batter falls right away...

Looked to me like he just was sliding head first.

OhioMike 07-27-2011 03:27 PM

I would like to believe the ump got the call right. I have seen before where it looks obvious that the runner was tagged at the leg and missed. With that being said, I voted "out". The announcers even commented that, "The runner never made it home" (originally of course). I think he was out.

Fightinirish157 07-27-2011 03:31 PM

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/68...19-inning-loss

MLB said the the call was wrong...

rangerstranger 07-27-2011 04:48 PM

The ump was tired and wanted to go home.He forgot the first rule of umpiring "if the ball beats the runner,You'reOUT always

Pasco08 07-27-2011 08:10 PM

Thats the worst call of the year and i have seen a lot of bad calls but that one was so off it wasn't even funny i think that ump just wanted to get home.

99rangerguy 07-27-2011 10:52 PM

Out! Deffiniatly the worse call of the year.