Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   no spark, no fuel pressure, no start (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/38482-spark-fuel-pressure-start.html)

ranger8432 07-24-2011 02:44 PM

no spark, no fuel pressure, no start

My starter sounds like it's trying to turn over but the truck just won't start. I checked-- no spark, no fuel pressure. So far I have replaced the pcm relay, fuel pump relay, ignition switch. All the fuses in the fuse box at the driver's dash are good and everything in the distribution box seems okay. Please help!

budgetliftedranger 07-24-2011 02:53 PM

Re: no spark, no fuel pressure, no start

Been there... Have u tested your fuel pump inertia switch with a test light? I dont know about your truck but mine has 3 wires going to it, a thick pink, a thick green, and a thin grey... The green one should have power for 3 seconds when u turn the key to prime the pump, those stupid switchs die without warning and can shutdown fuel and spark! If its bad u can get a new one or cut the fat wires and twist them together, but test the connection first...

ranger8432 07-24-2011 03:58 PM

Where will I find the fuel pump inertia switch, is it on the pump? Thanks

budgetliftedranger 07-24-2011 05:27 PM

No, its under the glove box... Its a small black box with a red button on top, its a safty switch that shuts your motor off when u get in an accident... Before u cut wires try pushing the button down and if it doesnt work pull the connector off and check the green wire for power, the pink one goes to the pump...

ranger8432 07-24-2011 09:48 PM

Thanks for you're help, I will try that!

ranger8432 07-27-2011 10:11 PM

I changed the inertia switch, but that didn't work. I went to the dealership and talked to the service tech, he said it was either that or the fuel pump, which would be about $800 to fix. I don't get how that would account for the no spark problem. I'm at my wits end and I don't relish the thought of changing the fuel pump myself!
Any other ideas?

budgetliftedranger 08-03-2011 07:19 PM

Ive done my fuel pump myself, 120$ sounds better than 800$! Its not too bad, just drop the tank.

----------

If its not the fuel pump the only other thing i can think of is the computer, its 250$ to rebuild... Im not 100% sure but it happen to me

tmoore78 08-03-2011 08:23 PM

I'm sure our trucks have these but have you checked the crank sensor? I had a Saturn that had these issues and the crank sensor was bad.

klinger86 08-03-2011 08:39 PM

check the crank and cam sensor if either is bad the computer wont let the fuel pump turn on or the coils fire.....

sheltonfilms 08-03-2011 11:22 PM

I would get some sort of code scanner and see if it even connects to your PCM. The PCM maybe bad. I saw a 2001 Taurus with the same prob.

vishous 08-04-2011 03:05 PM

i agree, check your crank sensor, if it goes bad u loose fuel and spark

ranger8432 08-07-2011 01:32 AM

Thanks for all your input, I changed the fuel pump and it seems to be fine so far. It's been a week and no problems starting.