Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Buying a Ranger Help! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/38469-buying-ranger-help.html)

Marcus Man 07-24-2011 12:30 PM

Buying a Ranger Help!

Hey guys my name is Marcus and I am a potential Ranger owner. I am in the process of selling my car in order to buy a Ranger. I am looking to buy something for no more than $10K, preferably around the $7-8K range. Could I get a decent truck for that amount? I've been looking on craigslist and I see trucks that seem okay to me for that amount but the mileage concerns me. I do not know much about cars so it's not like I can just buy a truck and fix it up. So the question is: Are high-mileage Rangers reliable? How many miles do Rangers typically last? I mean my dad had a Ranger and it drove fine. It might just be because he took care of it. I've heard Fords are relatively easy to work on and parts are cheap. So can I get a Ranger for around $8K that will last me through college. Sorry if I seem naive but I just don't want to buy a car that looks good on the outside and then it needs a new transmission or something a month later. Thanks for the input :)

djfllmn 07-24-2011 12:40 PM

Re: Buying a Ranger Help!

just beware of the 01-02.5 rangers with the 4.0 SOHC...they have timing chain tensioner problems

DadsFordGirl 07-24-2011 01:21 PM

Depending on the specifics you are looking for, I got my Ranger for $6000. No rust or mechanical issues what so ever. It's first owner was an old man who drove it far but treated it like a baby. Bought it with 110,000 miles. I've put 8K miles on it and haven't had a single mechanical issue yet. (YET)

Only downer on my end is I bought it with really used tires and I'll need to replace them before winter.

cdawall 07-24-2011 01:30 PM

Are you looking for a 2 or 4wd extanded cab standard cab? For 8k you can get a good truck with some miles on it.

TerrenceStuart 07-24-2011 02:03 PM

welcome to FRF, Marcus!

Clinton 07-24-2011 02:18 PM

Welcome

STL 07-24-2011 02:19 PM

Welcome to FRF

We have a section for specific questions. You would get a better response there instead of the introduction section.

StealthRanger 07-24-2011 02:23 PM

Welcome to FRF!

Marcus Man 07-24-2011 03:00 PM

Thanks guys for all the replies. I'm going to keep looking and maybe if I find a Ranger I like, I'll post it here before I buy it to see what you guys think. I might also post a question similar to this one in a more appropriate thread as suggested. Thanks again.

Blessed Ranger 07-24-2011 03:28 PM

Welcome to FRF!

kcombs 07-24-2011 11:19 PM

Welcome! My 98 has about 180,000 miles on it and I have repaired/replaced: the plugs twice, shocks once, fuel filter several times, rack and pinion steering complete once, battery twice, alternator once, tires twice or more, driver's side mirror once, plug wires once, and oil and filter lots of times. I have also had the automatic tranny service multiple times. Engine and tranny have never been repaired. Runs great and still drives like when I first got it with 14,000 miles on it. Oh, I forgot, it has been backed into once in a parking lot and repaired, and hit a deer at 50 mph and didn't need repair other than the front bumper needs adjusting (the dear died).

2004 fx4 level II 07-25-2011 03:51 AM

welcome to FRF!!